VJ Software during DJ
    Tech Mentor

Default VJ Software during DJ

Hey guys!

I have a question regarding a question on VJing. I want a software that I can load GIFs into and have the software just shuffle thru the gifs with cool effects and let it do it's thing while I DJ. Does this exist? I have downloaded preview software like VDMX, however it may be a little complicated for basic use. I really just want to setup a projector at smaller parties and have a library of GIFs play while some effects are aded over.

Thanks!
    Jackal Jyve // New York City // @JackalJyve // www.JackalJyve.com

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Arkaos or Resolume would both do the trick - both are pretty expensive though.

Nueromixer might work, not sure if it has any kind of auto/random function these days - cheap as chips.

Virtual DJ has an Automix function that works for video, but you'll need to convert those GIF's to Video format.

Do you allready have the Beamer/Projector?

Beamer exist that can Play JPGs or GIFs directly from a USB-Stick with effects. This would also have the Advantage that it would run independently from your Notebook you are Mixing with.

The inconvenient is that you have to load the stuff on the stick and can't work "On the Fly".

Don't ask me about which Beamer, I just remember that I was looking for this Kind of Features 2-3 years ago and that I found out it exist, but it was way over my Budget for a 1 time only Event.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by JackalJyve View Post
    Hey guys!

I have a question regarding a question on VJing. I want a software that I can load GIFs into and have the software just shuffle thru the gifs with cool effects and let it do it's thing while I DJ. Does this exist? I have downloaded preview software like VDMX, however it may be a little complicated for basic use. I really just want to setup a projector at smaller parties and have a library of GIFs play while some effects are aded over.

Thanks!
    Hey JackalJyve. I'm not familiar with VDMX but I know that Resolume doesn't support loading GIFs at this time. They'd need to be turned into movies first. Have you considered something lightweight like the vjay app on iOS?

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by rdej47 View Post
    Hey JackalJyve. I'm not familiar with VDMX but I know that Resolume doesn't support loading GIFs at this time. They'd need to be turned into movies first. Have you considered something lightweight like the vjay app on iOS?
    Djay pro !!!

Was thinking about Vjay before - but it doesn't have Automix.

OP: Convert those GIF's to Movie Files

Its a shame this wasn't real either (I almost cried back then)

http://resolume.com/blog/8027/resolu...-available-now
    Last edited by deevey; 06-17-2016 at 07:57 AM.

Tech Mentor

you're right, VDMX is pretty complicated for a non VJ person. But my god, you learn how to use that software and it can do practically anything. It's amazing.

Resolume is your more "open up and go" solution with a more intuitive layout. But there's a few drawbacks. GIF support doesn't exist (VDMX works fine with gifs) & Resolume has it's own proprietary codec called DXV3 which is a little annoying having to convert your library of videos to if you're more used to open source codecs like HAP