Keep Serato or buy Rekordbox?

Default Keep Serato or buy Rekordbox?

Getting back into DJing after a long 10+ year break and doing the switch from vinyl to digital so grabbed a DDJ SR while I learn digital mixing. I have tried both Serato and Rekordbox for a few hours and they seem very similar. What would be the advantage of buying Rekordbox over using the free Serato I get with the controller. Am I right in thinking that learning to use Rekordbox would make it easier if I go somewhere and they have CDJ's etc? Are there any other benefits?

Thanks!

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

If you use RekordboxDJ then all your music files will be ready to export and use with CDJs, other than that there aren't really that many workflow differences between Serato/Rekordbox regarding moving to external players.

If you aren't quite sure yet Rekordbox has a subscription you can use for another month or two and see if it's really worth for you to invest on it or stick with SeratoDJ

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    If you use RekordboxDJ then all your music files will be ready to export and use with CDJs, other than that there aren't really that many workflow differences between Serato/Rekordbox regarding moving to external players.

If you aren't quite sure yet Rekordbox has a subscription you can use for another month or two and see if it's really worth for you to invest on it or stick with SeratoDJ
    I think it might just go full Rekordbox DJ then instead of wasting money on a couple of months of subs and buying full anyways. In terms of work flow are there some good videos on how to go from DDJ SR RekordboxDJ to the kind of CDJ used at events / clubs? I had a CDJ500S back in the day but I they are quite different to the new ones.

Move to Rekordbox!
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Going from Serato to RB was a lot easier than I thought it would be. As mentioned above, it'll be nice when/if you end up using CDJs.

If you're going to stick with Pioneer controllers, it looks like going forward they won't natively support Serato either, so it wouldn't be a bad jump for that reasoning either.