The song comes in on the wrong beat
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default The song comes in on the wrong beat

Hi, I'll preface this by saying I'm a beginning DJ, so forgive my ignorance, but...

I'm trying to learn how to 'mix' (transition between tracks) and since I'm teaching myself, I figure the best way is to learn from the best. I'll download two consecutive songs from a set and listen to it to try and see how exactly the DJ went from one to the next (when and with what EQ levels).

I'm listening to this set by Guy Mantzur and Guy J: https://soundcloud.com/guy-j/guy-j-g...t-secret-party

From minutes 39-40 he transitions from Alex Villanueva - Rayne (Scotty.A Deep Dub) to Greg Chin - Dashboard Angels (Kevin Di Serna Club Mix). But he comes in with Dashboard Angels on beat four! Was this intentional? Was it a mistake? I thought the most basic rule was lining the beats up.

Another thing I noticed was that in the set the songs are slightly different (better, IMO). For example, on the version of Rayne in the set, there's this rhythm played by some percussion instrument (claves maybe? I never played drums and am terrible with the names to these things). There's a total of four sixteenth notes: the first on the last quarter beat of 1, the second on the first beat of 2, the third on the last quarter beat of two, and the fourth on the first beat of three. But that's nowhere to be found in this version released by Lowbit Records on soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/lowbit-record...rayne-scotty-a I think there are one or two other differences as well.

And in Dashboard Angels, on this version released by Kevin Di Serna's soundcloud (as well as another, longer one I found): https://soundcloud.com/kevindiserna/clubangels there is another wooden percussion instrument (maybe this one is the claves...no clue) that comes in on beats 2 and 4 that is not in the version I heard on the set. I think there might be one or two other slight differences as well.

Is this normal? I'm guessing that DJs often play slightly altered versions of the songs officially released (they have access to music we don't).

Not quite sure what you mean bud. If he's coming in on the 4th beat of a bar but its phased up correctly and it sounds smooth......

Theres no rules to mixing, i have a couple of songs whose groove and percussion sounds better slightly out of sync with the exiting tracks straight beat.

As for the track edits, he could be layering a percussion loop over the tracks on a seperate deck.

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DubluW View Post
    As for the track edits, he could be layering a percussion loop over the tracks on a seperate deck.
    He could also edit a whole track in DAW to add a new sound where ever he feels that more energy is needed.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by DubluW View Post
    Not quite sure what you mean bud. If he's coming in on the 4th beat of a bar but its phased up correctly and it sounds smooth......

Theres no rules to mixing, i have a couple of songs whose groove and percussion sounds better slightly out of sync with the exiting tracks straight beat.

I'm not sure if I conveyed this correctly in the OP but he comes in beat 4 of Rayne with beat 1 of Dashboard Angels. It drives me crazy when I count it...I mean I guess it sounds OK but if I were dancing it would throw me off. But maybe it was intentional? Was he trying to be unpredictable?

Some of the new rhythms are added but some are subtracted. Like I mentioned with Dashboard Angels, the version he played on that set didn't have the clave thing on beats 2 and 4.

Quote Originally Posted by dolcem View Post
    Was this intentional? Was it a mistake? I thought the most basic rule was lining the beats up.
    What makes artists and innovaters great is that sometimes they don't play by the rules.

Really, I guess my point is: it's hard to say. Who knows, maybe it was a mistake but they just rode it out because they were worried fixing it on the fly might make the mistake more obvious. Like if you're playing piano and hit the wrong key, you're expected to keep going anyways right?

Really cool how he puts the dance floor to sleep at 54:00.

How can I learn that?

Peaks and troughs to a set? If its an ibizian sunset party they might want to keep the energy low overall, people have to keep going til sunup.

He could try playing over 128 bpm, that could help.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Are you counting the beats, or counting he beats that you can HEAR?
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

If you use traktor, you can add a beat counter to the deck display, quite handy.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast