Practicing on the Road - at Work, Etc
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Practicing on the Road - at Work, Etc

Hello,

I often work second shifts and sometimes overnights, and I do end up having sometime on my hand.

I want to spend some of this time usefully practicing my mixing/djing skills, instead of watching TV/movies.

I am unable to haul my $1,000 + controller with me to work, but I do take my laptop with me.

What do I need to accomplish my goals?

I am thinking of getting a small controller (Serato compatible) such as Pioneer DDJ-SB2 Serato DJ Intro Controller.

Is it advisable to go this route? Can I mix on the computer using the software without the controller? Do I need to get a speaker or headphones are ok?

thanks and looking forward to your input...

rgds, PS

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by Oyiwaa View Post
    I am thinking of getting a small controller (Serato compatible) such as Pioneer DDJ-SB2 Serato DJ Intro Controller.
    That would do the trick - if you want to go really small, the Akai AMX

Is it advisable to go this route?
    It fits the bill for practicing, so why not ?

Can I mix on the computer using the software without the controller?
    No, not with Serato. You'll need a compatible controller plugged in.

Do I need to get a speaker or headphones are ok?
    I mix in headphones all the time when I don't want to disturb anyone, as do many others - its a good skill to have anyhow when the club monitors are crap.

Tech Wizard

Cool ...

I checked the Akai AMX and it is the same price as the DDJ-SB2. What would you recommend. I like the fact that the AMX is really slim and minimalist. How does it compare with the SB2 for my purposes ?

thanks - PS

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Cool ...

I checked the Akai AMX and it is the same price as the DDJ-SB2. What would you recommend. I like the fact that the AMX is really slim and minimalist. How does it compare with the SB2 for my purposes ?

thanks - PS
    Personally I'd go with the SB2 if the size is not an issue - it would probably reflect more similarly to your main controller for practice purposes.

But if you don't use the jogs much and you just want to do basic A>B mixing to get the feeling for your tracks in a really small package the AMX would be a nifty little controller to throw in your bag.

The AMX also comes with the full version of Serato, has a better soudncard and offers DVS in/outs if you ever go down that route.

Can't you use Serato with a mouse and a qwerty keyboard? You can with Traktor...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

if you want to build hand coordination and strength for scratching... try this
    Gripmaster_Hand_and_Finger_Excerciser_576a.jpg
    Traktor/Ableton /Komplete /MBP OSX el capitan

http://www.soundcloud.com/deejaesnafu

honestly i never saw the point in "practicing" with headphones and using your computer mouse to manage the software... that doesnt really do anything in regards to helping you practice for a live set. its a completely different atmosphere and type of mixing, balancing a mix and properly cueing and fader leveling in headphones and then doing it live in a booth are nowhere near the same thing. if you want to do it for "fun".. then sure, but i dont see it helping in a real "live" situation. if anything it'll throw you off when you do want to mix live on speakers...

just my opinion

Don't you even try to find tracks that go great together before a set/gig? Do you just get up there and play every time?
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Don't you even try to find tracks that go great together before a set/gig? Do you just get up there and play every time?
    no i dont and yes i basically just wing it every time... more fun that way

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Can't you use Serato with a mouse and a qwerty keyboard? You can with Traktor...
    Nope, you need certified hardware connected, otherwise it's just a glorified iTunes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast