Brexit? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Brexit?

Quote Originally Posted by overcast View Post
    I think the real question we Americans want to know is will our import records from the UK cost more or less now?
    Should be cheaper
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

This thread went south even faster than most of the facebook conversations I've seen!

We joke about the conspiracy theorists but it was actually that sort of rhetoric that made a lot of people vote to leave - the EU came to be seen as a scapegoat for anything political or bureaucratic that people disagreed with, domestic, european or international.

No one knows what's going to happen. What we do know is that our 2 biggest political parties will have new leaders by October and the economy has already taken its biggest dive in history. Part of the leave campaign's propaganda used the fact that the UK was the 5th largest economy in the world as a reason we didn't need the EU to do trade deals for us. By the end of the day after the referendum, it had already dropped to 6th.

Personally I'm very, very worried.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by fullenglishpint View Post
    This thread went south even faster than most of the facebook conversations I've seen!

We joke about the conspiracy theorists but it was actually that sort of rhetoric that made a lot of people vote to leave - the EU came to be seen as a scapegoat for anything political or bureaucratic that people disagreed with, domestic, european or international.

No one knows what's going to happen. What we do know is that our 2 biggest political parties will have new leaders by October and the economy has already taken its biggest dive in history. Part of the leave campaign's propaganda used the fact that the UK was the 5th largest economy in the world as a reason we didn't need the EU to do trade deals for us. By the end of the day after the referendum, it had already dropped to 6th.

Personally I'm very, very worried.
    I think most people expected an initial drop off and panic, it should stabilise soon.. you can't go from eu to nothing. we now need to build ourselves back up again

Tech Guru

This is exactly why these people make me furious.

Stupid people are literally ruining countries now with their facebook conspiracy nonsense. Uneducated, anti intellectuals who think their feels are worth more than evidence.

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by goodbytes View Post
    I think most people expected an initial drop off and panic, it should stabilize soon.. you can't go from eu to nothing. we now need to build ourselves back up again
    TBH, the EU is already starting to fracture. It was a very good idea at inception, to unite Europe and promote peace through trade. but the crucial element that would be its undoing is the ECB and its stronghold on monetary policy.

You brits dodged a bullet at that, at least the ECB wouldn't come in and force the BOE to print unnecessary amounts of money to support P.I.G.S. and in that aspect, you'll come out ahead of most countries inside the EU.
    Technics 1210 / Pioneer plx 1000 / Xone 42 / Adam a3x / UA apollo twin / Maschine mikro / Ableton live 9 / Maschine 2 / MBP Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015

Tech Guru

I know there are financial and economic reasons for leaving or staying in the EU, people will find financial and economic reasons for anything in this planet.

What I want to know is what was the motivation from those who have chosen to leave, besides the economic and financial reason? If there is one, of course.

Is there something to do with immigrants or refugees? I don't want to push anything here, I'm just wondering, because news can get pretty f*cking distorted when they cross borders and I always like to hear from the people who are living the thing.
    13" Macbook Air i7, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD | Traktor 2.7.1 | Ableton Live 9 | DJM-900 Nexus | NI Audio 10 | A&H Xone:K2 | Oyaide USB & RCA | HDJ-2000 | Odyssey BRLDIGITAL Bag

Quote Originally Posted by Daniboy View Post
    I know there are financial and economic reasons for leaving or staying in the EU, people will find financial and economic reasons for anything in this planet.

What I want to know is what was the motivation from those who have chosen to leave, besides the economic and financial reason? If there is one, of course.

Is there something to do with immigrants or refugees? I don't want to push anything here, I'm just wondering, because news can get pretty f*cking distorted when they cross borders and I always like to hear from the people who are living the thing.
    The main financial reason that the leave campaign put forward was that we send around £350M a week to the EU, which is technically true. There was a famous campaign bus with a statement written on the side that suggested we could spend that money on our National Health Service (NHS) instead. What the £350M figure didn't take into account was all the money we get back from the EU, which includes a rebate, funding for various state and private sector initiatives, etc. So the figure works out at about £160M a week. That's a vanishingly small proportion of the total state budget and the first thing dear Nigel Farage, leader of the UK Independence Party, said the morning after the vote was that there were no guarantees any money saved would be spent on the NHS. Add to that the huge drop in the value of the pound and the UK markets, and the fact that if in our new relationship with the EU we'll still want to be part of the single market, for which we'll have to pay fees, and there's no financial benefit at all to leaving. That's what the Remain campaign said throughout and it's now coming true, but there we go.

Immigration is indeed an issue, particularly with the ongoing Syrian crisis. The issue hangs on the fact that one of the core tenants of the EU is freedom of movement, so if someone is an EU citizen (which includes Syrian refugees who are granted asylum in any EU member state), the UK can't deny them entry without good reason to believe they would be a threat. The current government promised to bring net migration (including EU and non-EU) down into the tens of thousands in their 2010 election manifesto, and instead it has soared. The stats show that immigration has a positive impact on our economy and that immigrants as a whole contribute more than they take out, but fear mongering about immigration is easy so that was a big focus for the leave campaign.

You may have worked out by now, I voted remain.
    TSP 2 | Serato DJ | Live 8 | MBP (SSD + HDD) | AIAIA TMA-1 Fool's Gold Edition | 1200 Mk2s | MidiFighter | KRK RP5
    Xone: DB4 | Pioneer CDJ-2000 Nexus
    DJTT FAQ | Read my guide to AUDIO CABLES

Tech Guru

The main financial reason that the leave campaign put forward was that we send around £350M a week to the EU, which is technically true. There was a famous campaign bus with a statement written on the side that suggested we could spend that money on our National Health Service (NHS) instead. What the £350M figure didn't take into account was all the money we get back from the EU, which includes a rebate, funding for various state and private sector initiatives, etc. So the figure works out at about £160M a week. That's a vanishingly small proportion of the total state budget and the first thing dear Nigel Farage, leader of the UK Independence Party, said the morning after the vote was that there were no guarantees any money saved would be spent on the NHS. Add to that the huge drop in the value of the pound and the UK markets, and the fact that if in our new relationship with the EU we'll still want to be part of the single market, for which we'll have to pay fees, and there's no financial benefit at all to leaving. That's what the Remain campaign said throughout and it's now coming true, but there we go.

Immigration is indeed an issue, particularly with the ongoing Syrian crisis. The issue hangs on the fact that one of the core tenants of the EU is freedom of movement, so if someone is an EU citizen (which includes Syrian refugees who are granted asylum in any EU member state), the UK can't deny them entry without good reason to believe they would be a threat. The current government promised to bring net migration (including EU and non-EU) down into the tens of thousands in their 2010 election manifesto, and instead it has soared. The stats show that immigration has a positive impact on our economy and that immigrants as a whole contribute more than they take out, but fear mongering about immigration is easy so that was a big focus for the leave campaign.

Thank you for this answer!
    13" Macbook Air i7, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD | Traktor 2.7.1 | Ableton Live 9 | DJM-900 Nexus | NI Audio 10 | A&H Xone:K2 | Oyaide USB & RCA | HDJ-2000 | Odyssey BRLDIGITAL Bag

Are you old or young?
    Most young people voted to stay in the EU.
    Most old people voted to leave the EU.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jumanji View Post
    Most young people voted to stay in the EU.
    Most old people voted to leave the EU.
    Is there a simple reason for that?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast