Connecting YamahaDXR15 and Cerwin Vega Sub P1800SX to Pioneer DDJSX2
    Tech Wizard

Default Connecting YamahaDXR15 and Cerwin Vega Sub P1800SX to Pioneer DDJSX2

Good Evening ...

Here is my simple setup:

Two Yamaha DXR15s: http://usa.yamaha.com/products/live_...product_lineup
    Cerwin Vega P1800Sx: www.cerwinvega.com
    Pioneer DDJSX-2: www.pioneerelectronics.com

I am wondering if my current connection is the most optimal way to go. Here is usual setup:"

1. I connect the main out from the controller to the inputs on the sub.
    2. Use the "thru" outputs from the subs to the speakers.

The crossover setting on both the tops and the subs will allow me to separate the high and low frequencies:

-- The sub has a built on crossover set at 80Hz. Engaging it will send all frequencies above 80Hz to the tops and those below (80Hz) to the sub.

-- The tops have HPF (high pass filters) selectable at either OFF, 100Hz or 120Hz. I will turn it off since the sub has presumably separated the low/high frequencies. Am I correct in this assumption or should I go ahead and engage the 100Hz crossover for the tops ?

A figure showing the connections is available here: https://postimg.org/image/im0sasnkh/

Also, is there an alternative way of setting up my connections.

Thanks for the inputs -

cheers - Oy
    Last edited by Oyiwaa; 07-01-2016 at 08:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oyiwaa View Post
    -- The tops have HPF (high pass filters) selectable at either OFF, 100Hz or 120Hz. I will turn it off since the sub has presumably separated the low/high frequencies. Am I correct in this assumption or should I go ahead and engage the 100Hz crossover for the tops ?
    Yes, you are correct, no need to engage the crossover on the tops.
    If you engage the tops crossover you would have a "hole" between 80-100Hz that your PA wouldn't reproduce.

There are alternative ways of connecting (tops first with crossover engaged ) but that would give you nothing in terms of soundquality I think. I you are unhappy with the way things sound from your PA at the moment try testing with a lossless file + HQ audio interface (better controller/mixer) to see if the weak link is hardware.
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

Tech Wizard

Yes, I had thought of connecting the tops directly to the controller, then the subwoofer directly to its (the controller's) booth output so I can control the sub volume directly from the controller.

any advantages to this ?

/Oy

Quote Originally Posted by Oyiwaa View Post
    Yes, I had thought of connecting the tops directly to the controller, then the subwoofer directly to its (the controller's) booth output so I can control the sub volume directly from the controller.

any advantages to this ?

/Oy
    Yes. The advantage of controlling the volume of the subwoofer.