Monitor fell on tonearm. Worth fixing?
    Tech Wizard

Default Monitor fell on tonearm. Worth fixing?

Last night I heard a loud boom. Ignored it, but woke this morning to find one of my monitors had fallen on the floor. It looks like the monitor fell on one of my turntables before hitting the ground, bending the tonearm about 2 cm downwards. Everything plays, sounds fine. Should I fix it? Kinda worried it'll wear down the grooves on my records faster if I don't replace the tonearm.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by telamon View Post
    Last night I heard a loud boom. Ignored it, but woke this morning to find one of my monitors had fallen on the floor. It looks like the monitor fell on one of my turntables before hitting the ground, bending the tonearm about 2 cm downwards. Everything plays, sounds fine. Should I fix it? Kinda worried it'll wear down the grooves on my records faster if I don't replace the tonearm.
    try bending it back? nothing to lose at this point
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

Tech Wizard

I'm not sure how I would bend it, to be honest. The entire tonearm looks like it's bent at a 10 degree angle.

Tech Guru

If the balance of the wires aren't messed up and you can still balance the tonearm with the counter weight, I don't think you need to replace the tonearm.

That said, tonearms can be acquired pretty cheaply. I think I picked on up for about 40 bucks.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

Tech Wizard

Yeah, no wires were affected. Makes me feel better lol. I've seen some $50 tonearms, but wasn't sure I'd be able to replace it myself. I'll check it out. Thanks!

Tech Guru

It is pretty easy to replace yourself.

I really wouldn't worry about it too much then. If you are able to balance your tone arm properly and it still tracks well and sound good, I don't think you will really have that much excessive record wear.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior