Mixing with iPads
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Mixing with iPads

Hey guys!

Potentially hot topic question: Worth mixing with iPads? Have an iPad and my DDM4000, and considering getting a few more to use as "decks" inside the djay app. Always thought iPad mixing was a joke until I saw Juicy M's 4 iPad mix.

As I'm not really in a spot to afford a pair+ of CDJs, what do you guys think of using iPads?

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by Djente View Post
    Hey guys!

Potentially hot topic question: Worth mixing with iPads? Have an iPad and my DDM4000, and considering getting a few more to use as "decks" inside the djay app. Always thought iPad mixing was a joke until I saw Juicy M's 4 iPad mix.

As I'm not really in a spot to afford a pair+ of CDJs, what do you guys think of using iPads?
    Firstly, it's not really a "Hot Topic Question" ... the whole video was (at best) proof of concept going back a year or two ago.

Is it worth mixing on iPads ? I'd give a resounding yes, just not like she has them set up in the video which is IMHO completely ridiculous.

Here's all your need if thats the route you are going down.

1x Class Compliant Controller e.g. VCI400
    1x iPad Lightning to USB3 adaptor
    1x USB hub (powered)
    1x Djay Pro App.

BAM! I just saved you well over $1000 and that would do a whole lot more than 4 iPads and a mixer.

And no, 4 iPads does not look cooler, and amps that go to 11 are not louder.

Or Dj Player Pro app so you can use dvs if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    Firstly, it's not really a "Hot Topic Question" ... the whole video was (at best) proof of concept going back a year or two ago.

Is it worth mixing on iPads ? I'd give a resounding yes, just not like she has them set up in the video which is IMHO completely ridiculous.

Here's all your need if thats the route you are going down.

1x Class Compliant Controller e.g. VCI400
    1x iPad Lightning to USB3 adaptor
    1x USB hub (powered)
    1x Djay Pro App.

BAM! I just saved you well over $1000 and that would do a whole lot more than 4 iPads and a mixer.

And no, 4 iPads does not look cooler, and amps that go to 11 are not louder.
    I second this.
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Quote Originally Posted by electroshock View Post
    Or Dj Player Pro app so you can use dvs if you want.
    Works fine, but the interface still looks like it was designed by a programmer. Functional, but not pretty. And the music browser is IMHO horrible.

DVS is cool if you ever decide its needed I guess.

Although if you don't have a Mac or at least access to one you might have no other choice as Djay cant be midi-mapped directly from the iPad. You need to create your (or export the stock) mapping using the desktop version of Djay and import it via itunes.

Djay cant be midi-mapped directly from the iPad.
    Just to be precise: Djay or DJ Player?

I didn't think DJay could be mapped at all, and only supported built in mappings for various fisher price iPad controllers. iOS DJing could be a thing once the software is there for it, especially now Apple are selling a powered USB adapter dongle for lightning that lets you charge while using it.

Tech Convert

Hey guys, thanks for the responses.

I totally agree with you all. I have a full other setup or 2 with controllers and macbook, just was more curious if there is a good alternative to CDJs. Seems like a lot of work to map an iPad even if it is possible, just seems like a more reliable and faster setup to go with standalone players than controllers in my case.

Thanks for all the replies peeps!
    "Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

Tech Convert

Yeah I'd agree as well, more a cool idea.
    "Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

Tech Wizard

I think it depends what kind of dj you are. If it's to use at home then ipads are great.
    I still own turntables and an xdj unit and have owned cdjs.
    I got traktor dj on the ipad about a year and a half ago and I haven't used the xdj since. To be able to run a synth like Animoog or Magellan on top then have the rmx1000 as an effect unit is fantastic.
    There are glitches within traktor and there's no way you could run it within a club set up, but for experimental excitement ipad djing is great.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast