Daisy chaining powered speakers

Default Daisy chaining powered speakers

I have two sets of different name brand powered speakers. One set are yorkville that only one is powered and one is passive! The other set is EV which are both powered! When I hook up the music to the powered yorkville and try to daisy chain from the yorkville that's passive to the powered EV, it sounds distorted? It had me thinking that my EV was blown! So is this hook up wrong?
    To be more clear here's the setup: yorkville powered to the yorkville passive, from yorkville passive to the EV powered! Is this the problem for the distortion? Thanks in advance

its tough to tell without you testing the passive with an amp

we cant tell you if its blown or not but daisy chaining can certainly cause issues like low power and distortion

You need to take the line level out of the amp feeding your passive to speaker to feed your powered speaker, otherwise you're sending an amplified signal to your powered speakers which is NOT GOOD.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Thanks for all the info. I had a chance to hook up just my EV s and everything is well! Great knowledge to learn, much needed!

Glad it wasn't blown.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

Quote Originally Posted by SirReal View Post
    Glad it wasn't blown.

Me too!

When you daisy chain passive speakers you are daisy chaining an amplified signal from the amplifier. Be careful to pay attention to the ohms. Daisy chaining too many passive speakers can cause low resistance which will cause your amp to shut down or burn up.

When you daisy chain active/powered speakers you are daisy chaining a line level signal from a mixer/controller. Usually you won't have a problem daisy chaining multiple active speakers. Especially if you are running a balanced XLR chain.

So don't mix passive and active speakers in a chain.