Association tagging taken a step further

Default Association tagging taken a step further

I've been using Ean's association tagging method (as described here: http://www.djtechtools.com/2008/04/2...the-next-tune/) for quite some time now. But while it works fine, I've found it hard to remember which way some mixes work.
    So I decided to take it one step further and include additional information about the mix. Let me give you an example:

Say you have two tracks, A and B. While practicing you notice that track B mixes really well into A, but not the other way around. To remember this, you write a little note into the comment section.

For track A
    A - B

and B
    B - A

To further specify your mix include < and >.
    Now it looks like this:

For A
    A - < B

and B
    B - > A

You can think of < and > as questions.
    < is asking "what does x mix into"?
    > is asking "what mixes into x"?

If you're now playing track A you can "ask" your browser, what mixes into A by typing "> A into the search field and because you wrote this statement into B's comment section, B will turn up as search result.
    This also works the other way around. For instance if you are asked to play track B you can go backwards by typing "< B, hence finding track A, typing "< A, hence finding a match for track A.... until, ideally, you find your current track.

To remember the questions, I wrote myself a little note and glued it on my laptop.

I hope I didn't do a too bad job of explaining Please tell me what you think of this system.

Thanks

Yeah I've been doing this as well, putting ">Pjanoo" or "<Slip" in comments but i generally really dislike putting this kind of info in the comments section... gets so flippin messy - a completely rehauled tagging and browsing system with color codes, mind maps, icons, whatever, would lift Traktor to the next level in my eyes
    I used to link music in my signature but nowadays I don't.

Tech Mentor

Here's a feature suggestion in the NI forums I put. It's something I called track association and it would be ultimate tool for cataloguing and associate music, and going beyond the playlist and tagging systems.

http://www.native-instruments.com/fo...ad.php?t=97852

Please vote for it as I think it would be awesome

Hey pier,
    Your idea really sounds awesome. Did NI give you any feedback yet? Is this something they are working on?

Tech Mentor

I don't think so... NI are not famous for listening to customers...

But, if enough people vote on this it could be a new feature as it doesn't require lots of complicated programming. It's very simple in fact.