What do you find frustrating about discovering new music?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default What do you find frustrating about discovering new music?

I think discovering new music is one of the most important parts of being a successful DJ mainly because the music we find is the main ingredient of what we use to build a hopefully engaging and exciting journey in our sets.

Finding that gem of a track is exciting and we all enjoy playing it out and sharing it with our audience. The tracks we find along with the programming and how we mix them together is what makes each of us unique as DJs.

I think I'm probably right in that most of us want to find those gems first. I suspect even though we all have our favorite places to get our music and our own unique ways of finding it we probably all have similar frustrations such as the sheer amount there is out there each week to sift through.

What do you find frustrating or what do you think would make it easier for you to find music and help you create your own style?

Frankly, I don't think it should be inherently "easy". For me part of the thrill is the chase of finding something new and the excitement that comes from unearthing a gem. Part of the satisfaction and joy is when you either are looking for something particular to fit whatever mood you're wanting to capture. Even when something falls unexpectedly into your lap, it can be a treat because either it's something you never expected to hear or was outside your realm of "comfort" and challenges and entices you.

I think there's also a false equivalence in making it easier to find music and helping create your own style. Our style should be informed and shaped by a significant amount of different styles and genres of music. A varied palette can create wonderful landscapes, whereas a palette of only grey, black, and tech house is incredibly boring.

Tech Guru

For me I find too much music, and I always want to play new music.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

Quote Originally Posted by overcast View Post
    Frankly, I don't think it should be inherently "easy". For me part of the thrill is the chase of finding something new and the excitement that comes from unearthing a gem.
    I agree, I don't think it will ever be completely easy or without needing effort. Needing effort to find the more obscure stuff certainly helps separate out the more enthusiastic DJs. I just wonder how much time folks have to do the searching, I've certainly found there aren't enough hours in the day to listen to everything, which is certainly something I'd like to do.

it can be a treat because either it's something you never expected to hear or was outside your realm of "comfort" and challenges and entices you.
    Couldn't agree more!! I love being challenged by new stuff I hear, a lot of times I hear a track and am not that enamored and then it grows on me.

Our style should be informed and shaped by a significant amount of different styles and genres of music. A varied palette can create wonderful landscapes, whereas a palette of only grey, black, and tech house is incredibly boring.
    That's where the biggest problem comes in for me, I like all kinds of genres, some generally more than others and some I usually steer clear of but I do want to listen to all the genres even just to pick up that 1 track that's special. This poses a huge problem for me then though because the volume of stuff to listen to goes up tremendously.

Do you not find there is not enough time to listen to it all?

Quote Originally Posted by SlvrDragon50 View Post
    For me I find too much music, and I always want to play new music.
    Yes that's a problem for me too, do you find too much good music or too much music in general?
    Last edited by padi_04; 07-21-2016 at 08:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhunter View Post
    I just wonder how much time folks have to do the searching, I've certainly found there aren't enough hours in the day to listen to everything, which is certainly something I'd like to do.
    Your aim should never be to listen to everything. You will tire and bore yourself. Digging for tracks needs to be a finely honed method.
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Well I have elaborated an own Technique.

I Download tonns of Sound and don't really have time to listen to it.

What I do is putting the tracks on a playlist on my mp3-player and listen to it while sitting in public transportations, etc...

When a song then attires my Attention then it is the one I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Nawlins View Post
    Well I have elaborated an own Technique.

I Download tonns of Sound and don't really have time to listen to it.

What I do is putting the tracks on a playlist on my mp3-player and listen to it while sitting in public transportations, etc...

When a song then attires my Attention then it is the one I want.
    where is this site with all the music?

so then you prefer dumb luck to come across music you like?
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhunter View Post
    Yes that's a problem for me too, do you find too much good music or too much music in general?
    I find too much good music usually.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

Quote Originally Posted by keithace View Post
    where is this site with all the music?

so then you prefer dumb luck to come across music you like?
    There are tonns of sites, everyone has to find his favorites Sorry...it is so depending on what Music Style you are mixing and which preferences you have.

As I said, the song has to attire my Attention when I listen to it, so there's no "Dumb Luck" involved as a song getting my Attention while listening passively will for sure end up in my set and for sure be a hit while mixing for the audience.

This is what we call experience and Music Taste and sorry there's no Manual for that each one has ist own.

Tech Wizard

A lot of the cool records I find cost somewhere between 50 ~ 500 euros on discogs. Which is actually a good motivation to go out and visit (used) records shops and just dig there endlessly Most records in the shop are no more than 10~12 euros.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast