Do you have a specific type of music that comes from where you live ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Student

Default Do you have a specific type of music that comes from where you live ?

Im from a Small mining village in England , my nearest Town is Barnsley.

Outside of Barnsley our Next larger Town is Leeds, a lot of the music in clubs where Im from is focused around "Jackin house" its sort of a mix between deep house and Basline. No where else in the country have i heard this type of music before.

If you are aware of the DJ hot since 82 or as i know him Daley Padley a close friend of mine we used to place this type of music every weekend in our local clubs and it was always rammed. Anyone who came to our clubs out of town came for the music and this sound . Recently it has just started taking off into the mainstream with the likes of Tom zennetti who I also used to work close with, hes just signed to universal.

So here is a few examples of the music where im from and what we have created...

personally its not my favorite taste of music..but a lot of deep house tracks generated from it

Tech Wizard

I lived as an expat in Buenos Aires twice, once for 8 months in 2008 and then for a year and a half (2014-2015).

It parties harder than any place in the world (I don't count places like Ibiza that are full of tourists) and has a great electronic scene. It's hard to find commercial EDM there...you basically have to go to festivals when the major DJs come. Other than that, the clubs mostly play techno and progressive house, but there's a bit of everything. Now the after parties typically go from 7 AM to 1 PM, although back when I was there in 2014, it was a lot wilder. My favorite club opened Saturday night at midnight and closed at 8 PM on Sunday evenings. My second favorite was this after party that opened at 7 AM on Mondays and closed in the early afternoon. You can only imagine the clientele at that place (and no, it's not for being rich that these people don't go to work on Mondays).

Anyway, at these after parties, it's always the same type of music. I can't really describe it. It's an accessible electro house but not too commercial. There was a lot of Melbourne bounce, but they play a lot of their own songs, too. And everyone knows exactly what the style is (musica de after, as they'd say in Spanish); they can pick it out by ear immediately. But you pretty much don't hear it outside of the after parties.

Here's a set by who, IMO, is the best of these after party DJs, that came out right around the time I got there.

https://soundcloud.com/dj-bevilacqua...eats-mayo-2014

The first song on the set is this random song by some random Italian DJ that came out years before that no one ever listened to (and the other songs I listened to by this DJ were horrible). So this Argentine DJ found it and started playing it, and it became THE anthem of the after parties in the latter half of 2014. It was played at literally every single party and people would go absolutely nuts every time it came on. I don't know if I've ever heard of a DJ having such a good find.

My taste in music has evolved a lot since then, but it was so much fun while it lasted and it brings back a lot of memories.

Right now I live in Bombay, and they have their own budding electronic scene. Most people are into EDM but a lot of the local DJs here play a brand of progressive house that's pretty close to the style of some of my favorite DJs. It's a bit too hard and intense for my liking (the audience is pretty new to electronica I guess and they want everything hard, heavy, and fast as possible), but they play a lot of great music. This is one of the classics that people love to listen to (not an Indian DJ, but it gives you an idea of the style of music):

I'm really surprised though that no one else replied to this...don't a lot of places around the world have their own distinctive local scenes? I've never been to Tel Aviv, for example, but my favorite DJs are from there and they have a very similar sound, so I'm assuming that that must be the local sound there.
    Last edited by dolcem; 07-27-2016 at 04:24 PM.

yes

house music

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Kwal View Post
    yes

house music
    We all know house music came from Chicago but that was a long time ago...does Chicago currently have a unique sound that separates it from other cities? If you heard some house music from 2016 being played could you recognize it as coming from Chicago? I think that's what the OP was asking.

Maybe, maybe not, but that's not the point.
    If someone from Miami makes a track that sounds like Chicago house music, then it's a Chicago house track that was written by some dude in Miami. Chicago is the birthplace of Acid, and a lot of guys from Detroit adopted those sounds, but it's still Chicago acid.
    Detroit here is the home of Detroit style techno! Straight house music has been a lot more popular lately, but the signature sound here will always be techno.

yes

house music
    A+ comment. Laughed very loudly at work and had to cover it up when my coworkers asked me why.

Quote Originally Posted by dolcem View Post
    We all know house music came from Chicago but that was a long time ago...does Chicago currently have a unique sound that separates it from other cities? If you heard some house music from 2016 being played could you recognize it as coming from Chicago? I think that's what the OP was asking.
    Okay than, juke & footwork. I'm not from Chicago though (so don't take me as an expert, just a well read outsider), but I would be hard pressed to believe there's other scenes whose footwork producers/DJs aren't just taking cues from the old Juke Trax crew and the Teklife guys (with maybe exception of some Japanese footwork scenes).

yes

house music
    As we are not on FB I have to write it: LIKE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dolcem View Post
    If you heard some house music from 2016 being played could you recognize it as coming from Chicago?
    not anymore

I wouldn't say jackin' house comes from Barnsley. It's been around for a long time in some form or other.
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast