Worst DJ you've seen?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Worst DJ you've seen?

OK, obviously I'm excluding events like weddings, house parties, etc., or anything with non-electronic music...but whose the worst DJ you've seen at a well-established club?

Last night I think I saw the worst. I live in Bombay, a city with a budding electronic scene (lots of talented local DJs and producers, and also a lot with the support of their wealthy parents) that still has growing pains. A lot of the people that go to these parties aren't really all that into the music (let's just say that people go there just to sip on a few drinks...and they leave early). All bars by law have to close by 1:30 (many close at 1). You get the occasional place that will pay off the cops enough to stay open til 3 every once in a while, but that's a rarity. The exception to this rule are a handful of clubs, all located in hotels (hotels are the only places allowed to have stuff going on until later), that stay open til 3 or 4 (some of the really exclusive Bollywood places stay open til 5). I went to what was, some say, the best club in Mumbai last night, and it was a nice venue. I was really excited to get to see Dmitry Molosh, maybe my favorite up-and-coming DJ. It should have been a great party, and there were actually a good ratio of girls there (almost unheard of in this country), but it sucked because not enough people came and I bet that very few of them knew who Molosh even was (or even some of the more famous DJs in the genre). It was also a buzzkill that my friend and I were definitely the only people there rolling our faces off. The music was great but not as good as it could have been (and that's not Molosh's fault, on a night like this you can't play like you're in Ibiza or some other great party).

One of the top local DJs played after him (a style of progressive house similar to Molosh...my kind of music), and the place closed at 4 with hardly anyone left (and about three were actually dancing). But then it opened into an after party in a different room. I had never seen anything like this in India (it was also the first time I was allowed to smoke indoors). It should have been great but there weren't quite enough people there and, more importantly, no one there danced. Everyone was tired of dancing I guess, which made sense for this crowd (they're not really that used to having to get up and dance for a few hours).

Anyway, it wasn't going to be easy for the DJ. It was a tough crowd and the volume was pretty low (surely because it was the latest party in the city). But this guy was just horrible. He started with some boring songs, so no one was dancing, and then tried to up the ante and throw in more hits. But whether he tried to pick it up or bring it down, nothing ever seemed quite the right energy level, and everything was always horribly timed--these songs came on in the moments when they shouldn't have, and they were never the right picks for the moment. I mean this guy put on that Sahar Z remix of Lalitha Ashtotram: it's this really epic song that came out a couple years ago that's really spacey and this was literally the worst possible scene to play it in, especially because of the low volume. It was an insult to the song. And later on he played Frankey & Sandrino's Acamar! I mean, 2015 was a long time ago, and no way are you going to play that song quietly at a party where no one is dancing.

Every once in a while one or two people would start dancing, and eventually they'd stop. I was trying to enjoy my roll and got in there a few times, and occasionally someone else would. There was this group of bigger guys sitting on the sofa and drinking, and eventually one of them had gotten up to dance and tried to get everyone in the group to do the same. It took a lot of effort, as they looked completely exhausted, but finally they got up and moved to the floor. But none of us could dance because the DJ was playing one of his really low-key, boring songs. And we all waited for like two or three minutes but he didn't change the track. We were standing right in front of this guy and I guess he didn't even look. They tried for those two or three minutes to dance but the song was undanceable, and so they just went back to the sofa and sat down. No one really tried to dance after that point, no matter how hard he tried to bring up the energy level. And so the party pretty much ended. The lady DJ started to play but the damage had been done, no one was in the mood. Other people had been coming in and out to check on the party, but they usually wouldn't stay, because it didn't look any good, and that just made it feel even worse. Mumbai actually gets a party at 5 AM for once and it was a total bore. I bet they could have kept it open til 6 or so but there was no point and everyone knew it.

The whole night just really killed my motivation to go out here. Anyway, anyone else have any experiences they'd like to share?

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Unless everyone is on exactly the same buzz and into exactly the same style of music, sometimes theres no way it's going to be a kickass afterparty - regardless of whats playing.

The DJ thought it was the worst crowd he ever saw

"nothing I played could make them dance"
    Also note you said "a lot with the support of their wealthy parents"

In other words, probably lots of folks just there to be seen and not into the scene, which in most cases means sitting at a table pretending to enjoy the music and tweeting / selfie snapping all night.
    Last edited by deevey; 07-24-2016 at 04:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ltomama0945 View Post
    Thanks for posting this great post, I’m a somewhat smart marketer thanks to my background in the advertising industry, but drawing up marketing plans for a worldwide logistics company and for truckload and freight carriers isn’t really the same as a marketing plan for a business podcast. What’s this industry all about, and what’s it like working for myself instead of someone else?
    Spamarama..

This guy's probably the worst forum poster I've ever seen!!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DJAdeSands; 07-24-2016 at 02:30 PM.
    Denon DJ/MC6000KMK2/Launchpad S/LaunchcontrolXL/Traktor Pro 2/Bringin it since 96.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    Unless everyone is on exactly the same buzz and into exactly the same style of music, sometimes theres no way it's going to be a kickass afterparty - regardless of whats playing.

The DJ thought it was the worst crowd he ever saw

Also note you said "a lot with the support of their wealthy parents"

In other words, probably lots of folks just there to be seen and not into the scene, which in most cases means sitting at a table pretending to enjoy the music and tweeting / selfie snapping all night.
    All of what you said is true, but still, this guy completely sucked. Even though he was playing from the progressive house library that the DJs use here (and it's good music, which I'm thrilled about...I can't believe that in India I'm finding a local scene that's my style), the song selection was horrible. I mean the two I listed in my post...I was downright pissed when I heard them (especially the Audio Junkies & Sahar Z remix of Lalitha Ashtotram; it was totally uncalled for and I hate seeing a classic like that get ruined). And there were several moments like this. If I knew what the songs were called I'd list them but they were totally inappropriate. Even if you're playing at a really shitty after party, you can still make the best of it.

And I mean when people finally got up to start dancing, this guy couldn't change the track to something that we could actually dance to. The group of guys tried to dance and failed (and this song was impossible to dance to) but they actually waited like two or three minutes for him to change the track and he didn't. A few minutes after they sat down, he finally tried to bring up the energy but no one was having it. I've never seen anything like this. Basically this guy wasn't looking at the floor AT ALL...that's the number one rule of DJing, isn't it?

The chick DJ also thought he was horrible and that was pretty much why she came on to replace him.
    Last edited by dolcem; 07-24-2016 at 03:41 PM.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ltomama0945 View Post
    Thanks for posting this great post, I’m a somewhat smart marketer thanks to my background in the advertising industry, but drawing up marketing plans for a worldwide logistics company and for truckload and freight carriers isn’t really the same as a marketing plan for a business podcast. What’s this industry all about, and what’s it like working for myself instead of someone else?
    Thanks for posting this great post
    13" Macbook Air i7, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD | Traktor 2.7.1 | Ableton Live 9 | DJM-900 Nexus | NI Audio 10 | A&H Xone:K2 | Oyaide USB & RCA | HDJ-2000 | Odyssey BRLDIGITAL Bag

So as this Post is called "Worst DJ you ever seen?" I will not start to discuss your experience but just share mine.

DJ Name: DJ Antoine (People might know him for his Song "Welcome to St.-Tropez")
    City: Basel (Hometown of this DJ)
    Location/Party: Party organised by the DJs own Label
    Date: Approximatively 15 years ago

Party started at 9pm, the above mentionned DJ was the Headliner.

The location started getting really packed full at midnight, around at 11:30pm there was a huge line in front of the Location (well I was there at 9pm and got an wristband and could get in and out just passing the line)

There were a few Young talented DJs spinnin the tunes, the Party and the mood of the People was great and everybody was waiting for Antoine and his MC for the Live-Set.
    So normally, at every Party you bring the Headliner then when the Location is the most crowded and if it's a Party from your own Label, as DJ you should be there physically all night Long no?

Not at this Party: Headliner jumped out of a Taxi at 3:30am, to Play at 4am for a half-full Location 'cause the People left as he didn't Show up earlyer. (People came for him not for the talented No Names)
    Not only he screwed it by coming as late he also totally screwed the Set. During every single Transition from one Song to another (what defines the Definition of a "DJ") His MC had to scream into the microphone so that the audience would not realise that the Beatmatching attempts failed (the beats of both Songs were as asynchrone as only possible).
    People on the Dancefloor (well the few left) started whisteling and showing him the middle finger and I guess by 4:30am there were only around 10% of the audience left from those who were there at midnight.

Many years later 3 CLub-owners told me that this DJ is the only House DJ they ever booked who was contractly asking for a hidden Cd-Player behind the booth, connected to the Mixer to fake a Vinyl played House Set. He better would have Mixed that way at his own Labels Party.

I also heard that he learned to mix since then...pretty sure AUTOSYNC Button was helpful in his case

One of the worst DJ's I've ever seen was a reality TV star turned DJ. So off his face that he could not string a mix together at all. Atrocious.
    The other was a female UK Big Brother Winner/DJ, also on her kite, with a ryder that included lots of Grey Goose, could hardly stand.. also atrocious.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Denon DJ/MC6000KMK2/Launchpad S/LaunchcontrolXL/Traktor Pro 2/Bringin it since 96.

Tech Wizard

dj Juicy M man, never seen her live but the videos she posts on youtube where shes pretending to mix are borderline offensive.

Do we Forget Paris Hilton?

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Nawlins View Post
    Do we Forget Paris Hilton?
    I think we are after actual DJs

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast