Platter stop under vinyl while backcueing
    Tech Student

Default Platter stop under vinyl while backcueing

Hello DJTT,

I am a House/Techno DJ for two years now, started with Traktor just to get into mixing.
    I got myself a new turntable for my LPs and later on added the tt to my DJ setup (Traktor Kontrol + Xone 42) for adding a little bit of vinyl into my mixes.
    Now I'm considering to buy a second tt for a plain analogue vinyl only setup. But I discovered a strange problem which bothers me a lot.
    My first turntable has been an Audio Technica AT-LP120 and I thought the problem is due to its lack of torque. Thus I thought I should buy a Technics (which could not be wrong!) but:

People owing a Technics have reported the same problem. I still am a bedroom DJ and an AT-LP120 is much cheaper than a decent used Technics. But that shouldn't be discussed here. Maybe I wanna get a Technics anyways.

However, certain 12" stop the platter while cueing or backcueing, but some slip like a knife through a warm block of butter.
    I tried every trick I found in forums with plastic or wax paper underneath the slipmat. Even bought Dr. Suzuki's Slipmats Mix Edition, this shouldn't be the problem because some 12" work perfectly, but some don't.

I really want to solve this one because it brakes my enjoyment for spinning vinyl.

Those that don't slip well probably have tight hole. Widen it with a round file, carefully, just a bit.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by electroshock View Post
    Those that don't slip well probably have tight hole. Widen it with a round file, carefully, just a bit.
    yeah, the only time a tight hole is bad is if its on a record!

heavier grade records and thick slip mats don't help either, thought I've experienced it on cheaper decks in my early days, its not something i recall with technics
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

Even a tight hole shouldn't completely STOP the platter?

I've used some shitty slip mats, and had some records with TIGHT holes, but the only real reason I can imagine a platter actually STOPPING would be to much down pressure on your record hand.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Mentor elohyspoissonpilote's Avatar

+1 o n Patch
    Repairing or servicingaround 3 or 4 Technics Mks every weeks, platter stopping when cueing or backcueing or scratching is mostly for 3 reasons:
    -As patch said, too much pressure from hands (you can't imagine how many guys apply too much pressure when I asked them to show me to reproduce the problem, and sometimes causing some microtorsion of the central axis, causing small noise from the spindle when rotating).

-Shitty slipmats (Saw some that madesome "nice" circle scratches on the platter paint)

-Lack of torque due to electronic problem (the small deported transistor (2D1265) is often faulty but not all the time)but in that case you will see it on the start time wich increase dramaticly

True dat, but the op says:
    Quote Originally Posted by vijtir View Post
    certain 12" stop the platter while cueing or backcueing, but some slip like a knife through a warm block of butter.

Tech Mentor elohyspoissonpilote's Avatar

Electroschok, you're right and about that, Iexperiences sometimes some vynils wich are deformed, mean taht one side is concave and the other one convex.
    When you play the convex sides, you must sometimes apply more strenght on the vinyl and it can stop the platter. When you play the other side (concave); the the vinyl will slip like a knife throigh a warm block of butter.