The future of vinyl..
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The future of vinyl..

Saw this article online, and was curious on opinions to what the future holds for vinyl. (This is not a 'real DJ's use vinyl' debate btw)

Is it the case that the vinyl industry is elderly, and fading.. despite new hardware from (Matsushita) Technics and Pioneer, and the high interest in DJ's going back to, or starting to DJ with vinyl for the first time...?

Or do you think it's still thriving..?

http://www.factmag.com/2015/05/07/pr...he-edge-vinyl/

I personally haven't used vinyl now in a couple of years, but I did replace my vinyl TT's with a vintage Technics SL-120 with SME tonearm, so at least I can play vinyl if I take the notion.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DJAdeSands; 08-07-2016 at 10:03 AM.
    Denon DJ/MC6000KMK2/Launchpad S/LaunchcontrolXL/Traktor Pro 2/Bringin it since 96.

I don't think vinyl will die properly because there will always be an enthusiast market keeping it alive. That said, it will remain a fringe entity. For myself, I play on vinyl at home fairly regularly in conjuction with my digital setup. Professionally speaking, I still use vinyl when the occassion requires from time to time but it in no way compares to amount of gigs I do digitally. You can count my vinyl gigs for the last 2 years on one hand.

You mentioned "thriving" and that's interesting. I think vinyl could be classed as thriving, but within a certain strain of music consumers and DJ's. That market is healthy, and while it will probably grow over the next couple of years it will still remain a small market. I will never get rid of my vinyl or Technics, but nor will I delude myself into thinking that vinyl is anything other than a hugely enjoyable sideshow to the main event that digital DJ'ing is and will continue to be.
    One thing I will say is that new DJ's would do well to research the past and see where DJ'ing came from because vinyl is culturally relevant to what we do. I see too many who think that the sync button + fist pumping is all that DJ'ing requires.
    Live rig: Denon Prime (5000M's)
    Retired: Denon x1700, Denon SC3900's, Traktor, Technics SL1200's, my vinyl
    Wish list: Some Roland Aira stuff.

Totally hear ya, sync button and fistbumping ain't DJ'ing.. it's entertainment for those who don't care about the art. The article kinda hints at vinyl will die off eventually, due to the antiquated technology that it is, the maintenance that the machines require, and that upkeep of the tools that are used to make mass quantities.
    As much as many would like it to grow, is it realistic to think it would ever come back to what it was 20 years ago?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Denon DJ/MC6000KMK2/Launchpad S/LaunchcontrolXL/Traktor Pro 2/Bringin it since 96.

Tech Wizard

I think demand for vinyl is on the rise, actually. It's evident in products like the new Pioneer turntables. I think it's great. There are tons of vinyl only releases, which really helps the growth of it all.

Tech Guru

I think demand for albums etc, and what i call 'general listening' records will go up, but not so much for DJing music...its just not practical anymore, which is a shame.
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

I'm inclined to agree, DJ'ing with vinyl is now more a novelty rather than a serious angle on DJ'ing and the times I've used vinyl were because the event allowed me to play older music that I already own. I still buy vinyl but none of it is new stuff, it's always the old school bits and pieces I missed when they came out first time round. Non-DJ music afficionados, however, will continue to buy new vinyl and most of the rise in sales is down to them I believe.
    I still love playing with vinyl, but at my residency it would be completely impractical to use.
    TL;DR: Vinyl will be kept alive by a section of music consumers and turntables will still make money because the turntablist community will keep buying them. There is still nothing better than a rotating platter for what they do.
    Live rig: Denon Prime (5000M's)
    Retired: Denon x1700, Denon SC3900's, Traktor, Technics SL1200's, my vinyl
    Wish list: Some Roland Aira stuff.

As stated, I think the enthusiast market will keep it going, whether Urban Outfitters sells repressing or not. I would honestly guess that the fad will die off in a few years, unfortunately. At least for mainstream consumption.

It's never going to replace iPhones / streaming / mp3s as the primary music player for most young people. Even if they have a record player and some records at home. I'd liken it to properly cooking a meal. They probably do it once a week, then order out most of the time.

I love vinyl, but would be lying if I said I didn't typically play out on a flash drive purely for convenience.

Tech Wizard

Very true...practically, it's tough to justify lugging crates of records around these days. Speaking from pure nostalgia though, there's nothing like seeing that wax spinning!

The amount of people cutting high quality dubplates has definitely increased over the past couple years. We have also seen better plastics going into record pressing. This has lead to a higher setup cost, though, which is reflected when ordering any short run.

A lot of non EDM new music has been releasing on vinyl as of late and has no problem being sold. The EDM market is still suffering in vinyl sales.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by the_bastet View Post
    The EDM market is still suffering in vinyl sales.
    you can't sync a turntable, thats why
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast