Shifting from DJM-750 to DJM-900 Nexus

Default Shifting from DJM-750 to DJM-900 Nexus

Hello,
    Just wanted to know your thoughts on transitioning from one mixer to another.

If someone practices on a Pioneer DJM-750 Mixer for a good couple of years and is then given the club standard DJM-900 to perform, how difficult would the transition be for that person.

Could you'll also share your journey towards moving from mediocre gear to club standard gear. How difficult it was and how to adapt to high end gear.

Tech Guru

If you are familiar with DJing and understand signal flow, you should be able to learn how to use any mixer within a few minutes.

This is a non-problem if you're a confident DJ. Faders are faders, knobs are knobs, and for the most part, they're labelled so you'll know what they all do!

You won't instantly master a mixer the first time you play on it, but you'll manage.

There comes a point when you just have to say "fuck it" and rely on your skills to get you by. Your confidence will grow when you start doing this.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Mentor

I have been to BPM in the uk (www.visitbpm.co.uk) for a few years now , and at home I have an Allen&Heath Xone:4D

the mixer on different hardware is easy to apply your own style of play on. It's when you get to the features that are non standard between manufacturers. ie the effects, filters etc.

Once I'd worked out the non standard aspects that are different, then the standard things eg: gain, hi, mid, lo, volume fader I can use standard things just as I would on my own mixer at home without a problem and do my own style of smooth eq blending.

driving a car is another analogy.
    once you can drive, then you can drive any car. but every car is different and has it's own characteristics, nuances and differences, but driving is virtually the same.

using decks is the same situation as well.

one skill to learn is to manually beatmatch, and that almost guarantees you can play on the vast majority f hardware out there. assuming the decks have a pitch fader or similar.
    It also is your get out of jail card, if something goes wrong.
    Last edited by djrickdawson; 08-17-2016 at 04:22 PM.

Thank you so much for your replies.
    Understood that practice and confidence is key in moving onto unfamiliar gear.

Tech Guru

Filters.
    13" Macbook Air i7, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD | Traktor 2.7.1 | Ableton Live 9 | DJM-900 Nexus | NI Audio 10 | A&H Xone:K2 | Oyaide USB & RCA | HDJ-2000 | Odyssey BRLDIGITAL Bag

Hello, Just wanted to know...
    How much does it affect to have a single color effects knob on the DJM-750 and a per channel color effects knob on the 900 ?

Quote Originally Posted by oneadnonlyzedd View Post
    How much does it affect to have a single color effects knob on the DJM-750 and a per channel color effects knob on the 900 ?
    It's much more easier to use dedicated knob without the need to check what channel is being selected.

But some other (non-Pionner) mixers that have a single filter knob also have a dedicated FX select button under each channel so it's a advantage: you can select 2 or more channels to be filtered with a single knob (for example: you have vocals on deck C and remix/stems on deck D).
    Unfortunately, DJM-750 does not have it.
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by oneadnonlyzedd View Post
    Much better to have one color effects knob per channel, it's just much more intuitive to play
    13" Macbook Air i7, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD | Traktor 2.7.1 | Ableton Live 9 | DJM-900 Nexus | NI Audio 10 | A&H Xone:K2 | Oyaide USB & RCA | HDJ-2000 | Odyssey BRLDIGITAL Bag