Who else thinks the touch sensitive trend is the wrong direction to go?

View Poll Results: Do you prefer real knobs and tactile control or touch sensitive surfaces?

Voters
78. You may not vote on this poll
  • I prfer Real rotary knobs and faders

51 65.38%
  • I prefer Touch sensitve control

4 5.13%
  • I like both or can't make up my mind on which I prefer

23 29.49%
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default Who else thinks the touch sensitive trend is the wrong direction to go?

I absolutely despise all touch sensitive controllers. I won't use anything touch sensitive and I've tried them all. It seems like more and more manufacturers are going this route and I don't get it. I for one am partial to physical knobs and faders and tactile response. Even rotary encoders bother me, I like true potentiometers and rotary pots with some solid feedback.

Anyone else share these sentiments? Anyone love touch sensitive controllers?

jazzmutant things look pretty sweet though...

the stanton midi controllers dont really appeal to me (those are the only other touch controllers i know of)
    i own a kp3 that has x/y pad touch screen and that works pretty well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by munizj View Post
    jazzmutant things look pretty sweet though...

the stanton midi controllers dont really appeal to me (those are the only other touch controllers i know of)
    i own a kp3 that has x/y pad touch screen and that works pretty well for me.
    Yeah I forgot to mention, the ONLY touch sensitive controls I like or XY pads like the KP3 since there is no alternative and it is different than adjusting pitch or twisting a virtual knob on a flat surface with your finger.

you can never get enough of knobs and faders definitely. but i think touch sensitive platforms are an added plus as far as visual goes. so far the one on iphone/ipod apps aren't that bad - though there're 1 or 2 that do come with their own set of glitches. but of course, knobs are traditional at their best.
    spaced___

Tech Mentor

Knobs are just more fun, I think, but there's a lot of potential in touch sensitive controls. I've gotten the chance to poke at the SCS things, and I have to say my biggest complaint is the lack of visual feedback. Sure, there's feedback there, but it's just not the same to me. That being said, I could see how it'd be nice for things like using the same control for two different things via a shift modifier. I've seen motorized faders to help with this, and it seems like a /really/ interesting idea, and I personally would love to see it applied to pots as well, which probably isn't going to happen.

But I'd definately have to agree. Physical controls > Touch-sensitive controls 9/10 times.
    I'm not good at things, but I like to pretend I am.
    :Project-Segfault:

I wouldn't mind some sort of auxillary touch sensitive controller for fx, like the stanton or something, but you gotta have knobs for real mixing guys, c'mon.
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Tech Guru

i think there are definitely strengths to the touch sensitive technology. i'd love to get my hands on a Lemur... being able to flip back and forth through customizable pages of different controls is really cool!

but would i trade in my UC-33e for a Lemur?
    no, absolutely not.

touch sensitive control will never replace rotary knobs and faders, but despite that i think it's still a welcome addition to our arsenal.
    Last edited by wrong chris; 11-30-2009 at 04:34 AM.

i love knobs and sliders definitely but i own the scs3 system and the positive aspect about the touch sensitive route is that i can control several parameters in traktor with several of my fingers in just one hand. its just a matter of getting used to it. yes it wont replace knobs and sliders but its a good add on to knobs and sliders because of the touch capabilities. and visually for the scs3 system does tells me what is being tweak because of the leds. the conclusion is personally, i love both heeee. to me theres no wrong or right direction for touch sensitive controllers, actually as theres both pros and cons for it. its just a matter of personal preferences and getting used to it at first thats all and actually make it works for you.
    Last edited by Pollux#13; 11-30-2009 at 04:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JesterNZDJ View Post
    I wouldn't mind some sort of auxillary touch sensitive controller for fx, like the stanton or something, but you gotta have knobs for real mixing guys, c'mon.
    OT

I can see where that's going, so just for a chuckle if your not using knobs and faders your not a real controllerist!

*smiles*

;-)

Back on topic

personally I don't like touch controls the IPhone is an exception otherwise I prefer my gear to have bits i can physically turn pull push!

I wasn't suggesting that mate lol putting words in my mouth geez
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast