choosing dj speakers and wattage
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default choosing dj speakers and wattage

so guys im looking to upgrade my setup but have some questions. i currently have 2 15 inch behringer speakers rated at 1000 watts and two 18 inch behringer subs (dont remember the watt rating). im looking at picking up some 12 inch speakers from jbl, qsc, etc etc. but im wondering what exactly is the difference between a 15 inch speaker rated at 1000 watts and a 12 inch speaker rated at 1000 watts.

a friend of mine was pushing me to get 2000 watt 12 inch speakers but i feel this is too much power especially since i am upgrading subs here soon and just need the tops for mids and highs.

If you can find the true RMS rating, that's a more accurate measurement. But most companies play games with ratings. Especially the cheap ones.

The best thing you can do is try to listen to the speakers in person.

Try to talk to DJs that own the speakers you've been thinking about.

I found lots of good info on speaker opinions on the Serato forums. Search google for the model and add Serato to the search. For example "JBL PRX Serato"

I really like the bang for buck of the Yamaha DBR series.

If you have good subs you don't really need 15 inch speaker tops. A 10 inch will cover all the range above the subs and you will have lighter and more compact speakers to lug around.

You can never have too much power. You just turn them down and they will sound clearer (less distortion) and the amps will run cooler and more efficient.

Good luck.

Hi guys Forum noob with first post but do have experience of this exact thing

i had a pair of Mackie thump 15's (the later ones) for about a year as i'd just started playing out & after they'd ran in a bit they did actually sound pretty good. However as somebody who's always had reasonable Hi Fi over the years i always kinda suspected they were more noisy rather than loud...
    Anyway i sold an old BMX for the exact same price as a Yamaha DXS18 sub so i also after much reading & deliberation bought a pair of Yamaha DXR12's to go with it. they arrived next day on a pallet & my first thoughts were wow that sub is big! (i still think that) and its heavy too at over 50 kilos glad i never bought 2 (although i kinda might add another one day )
    So.. the sound. well as you can imagine the big sub definitely added some weight down low but the clarity of the mid & tops was almost breathtaking in comparison everything is way more musical now & i can hear stuff in tracks i've never heard before. have to say i love how the new setup sounds
    even the mrs said she liked them & she never likes anything i've spent money on

to be fair the last time i used the Mackies i thought they were sounding good, the guy i sold them to who's just starting playing out loves them. and you honestly can't fault them at the price but i can only describe the Yamaha DSR18 & DXR12's as truly next level in comparison. no more bang & fizz but a full bodied weighty & very musical sound.
    i just wish i had room in my van for more

I don't like Mackie Thumps.

Your 2 DXR 12's and the DXS18 is a great system. Good job.

That sub is heavy because it's well made and big because it's impossible to design an 18 inch band pass any smaller than that.

For what they cost i think the Thumps are a decent enough starting point but yeah for 4 times the money i have something that now sounds a lot better

i was a bit wary of the bandpss sub at first as people describe them as "one note wonders" & only any good for thudding out a beat. if you believe everything some people write then it might put you off but i tried mine with some early 90's Rave bass tones & it coped really well. very impressed

oh & to answwer the OP about wattage...
    the thump 15's were an alleged 1,000w each

the DXR12's are 1,100w & the sub is 1,020w (according to the packaging)

in all fairness i don't know how realistic any of these manufacturers claims are but i have recently invested in some custom formed earplugs

Yamaha has some great speakers right now. That said, you can't go wrong with JBL or QSC. I have the QSC KW series (12's and the 181), and they sound amazing. Also, keep in mind that the heavier wood cabinets are going to sound that much better than the lightweight plastic ones.

power really doesnt mean too much these days (as most smaller dj set ups are all powered speakers). personally i think the best system you can get right now is a pair of the qsc K12s. The bar i resident at uses 2 of these and they have impressive low and midrange all packed into a rather small box. the 12s look like 10s and the clairity is very very nice. other than that, i have a handful of EV ETX15s at my work and they are also very nice. lightweight and low amperage draw but a very nice output as well

Quote Originally Posted by sobi View Post
    Yamaha has some great speakers right now. That said, you can't go wrong with JBL or QSC. I have the QSC KW series (12's and the 181), and they sound amazing. Also, keep in mind that the heavier wood cabinets are going to sound that much better than the lightweight plastic ones.
    QSC KWs are awesome. But they are priced 40% higher than the Yamaha DXR stuff.

i did look at the QSC's but everything i read about the Yamaha sub vs the QSC made me lean towards the Yammy.
    aslo i did a fair bit of research about the top cabs ie the DSR vs DXR & for what i use them for the DXR seemed the more logical choice

The QSC KW181 subwoofer is a beast. It's personal preference.

The Yamaha is a band pass design and the QSC is a bass reflex design.

I'be never heard them side by side. I like both.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast