Exploring outside Top40
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Exploring outside Top40

Hello,
    Just wanted to know,

How do you guys explore music that isn't among the top40 . I see so many DJ's playing sets that are not the Top40 charts from Billboard/Beatport/Soundcloud.

Just Wanted to discover some underground music (If that's what its called)

Eg: This Super Awesome Set by Solomun from Ibiza

Quote Originally Posted by oneadnonlyzedd View Post
    Hello,
    Just wanted to know,

How do you guys explore music that isn't among the top40 .
    Carefully.

There isn't really a surefire system. It's different for everyone. Some people browse soundcloud endlessly. Some people read blogs until their eyes bleed. Some people follow specific labels. Some snipe DJ tracklists and use that to learn about new artists. There's also a really nicely contributed to thread here that could help.

God he sucks. So sad that the scene has overruled the music.

Ibiza ! Lights ! Sound ! Drugs ! Shit music .... 3 out of 4 ain't bad chill out bro.

I started going to underground raves 3 years ago. This was when soundcloud was in its prime and I've been on it everyday since. I started DJing because I wanted to mix my favorite songs. I absolutely despise top40 music but I will occasionally play the top40 remix banger find a few labels on soundcloud to fallow and that should be a good start

Listen to lots of mixes/podcasts/shows. ALL. THE. TIME. Find tracklists. Find artists you like. Listen to their mixes/podcasts/shows. Find remixers. Listen to their mixes/podcasts/shows. Build up a good front page on Mixcloud/Soundcloud. Follow big festivals and clubs on YouTube/Mixcloud/Soundcloud. Listen to their mixes/podcasts/shows. This is the new crate digging.
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

Quote Originally Posted by loverocket View Post
    God he sucks. So sad that the scene has overruled the music.

Ibiza ! Lights ! Sound ! Drugs ! Shit music .... 3 out of 4 ain't bad chill out bro.
    Disagree. Solomun plays some great tracks. Maceo Plex has been on fire recently too.
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

Tech Guru

Listening to podcasts/shows by your favorite producers is really the best way to find new music IMO. Follow them on FB as well.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

Just go through Beatport and save what you like. What sounds good to you. And use the My Beatport feature. It saves labels and artists so when they release new stuff it pops up automatically in your My Beatport tab.

Quote Originally Posted by happydan View Post
    Disagree. Solomun plays some great tracks. Maceo Plex has been on fire recently too.
    I don't see it. When I hear Chus and Ceballos, Luciano, Marco Carola, Hot Since 82, DJ Fronter I get it.

They make these dudes sound like babies. The cohesion of the mix, the progression, the feel is just bland.

My friends tried to drag me out to Solumun and I said "not interested." They called me a hater and the hype was all over town "everyone" was going.

Next day I said "how was it?" And they said " you were right. He was shit."

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by oneadnonlyzedd View Post
    Hello,
    Just wanted to know,

How do you guys explore music that isn't among the top40 . I see so many DJ's playing sets that are not the Top40 charts from Billboard/Beatport/Soundcloud.

Just Wanted to discover some underground music (If that's what its called)

Eg: This Super Awesome Set by Solomun from Ibiza

You can't think of "Top 40" and "underground" as binary categories. There are literally dozens of genres that fall under the umbrella of "electronic," and 99% of electronic music would not be considered 'top 40.' It's only in the past five years or so that commercial EDM music became the most popular form of pop music.

So you need to find what it is you like and continue listening to it. Basically there are four broad genres of electronic: house, techno, trance, and bass. Each of these has a bunch of subgenres.

Solomun is deep house, so maybe that's a good place to start for you. Listen to his sets and look up the track lists. Find your favorite songs, see which DJs produced them, and then listen to those DJs. Rinse and repeat.

If you have good taste in music, over time your taste will naturally drift away from what is popular. But don't force it. It has to be organic or you'll end up stop listening to electronic altogether.

I first got into electronic music from a DJ called Grum. His sound is heavily influenced by New Order and indie rock, and I was coming from a rock background. He mentioned Guy J as his favorite (or one of his favorite) DJs a few times, so I checked him out. I thought it was really boring and repetitive music and too mellow. I liked listening to 90's trance because I saw Paul van Dyk around this time and found it really enjoyable to listen to. And some 90's house too (eg Paul Oakenfold). I was exposed to EDM and enjoyed it but then got into Buenos Aires's underground house scene. It was a bit EDMish (lots of Melbourne bounce as this was 2014) but they played mostly unknown music and a lot of local tracks. This music though was only played at after parties...during normal hours (before 7 AM), the clubs would mostly play techno and progressive house with international DJs coming in. I never really liked the music that much, it seemed repetitive and boring and lacking in melody. The drops never satisfied me.

After six months or so of this (but I listened to A LOT of music, as I would go out Friday and come back Monday afternoon every weekend, only sleeping on Saturday afternoons, and went out during the week sometimes, too, only going to electronic parties...I wasn't working at this time, just depleting my savings), I finally went to a techno party that blew my mind. It was this crazy house party off in the countryside with insane drugs and this one (local) DJ that absolutely destroyed it. I had never heard anything like it before. And since then, I've never looked back. I'm horrible with DJ names when it comes to techno or deep house, but I've gotten into progressive house. Upon returning to listening to Guy J, I discovered that he's the world's best DJ/producer, IMO. So I listen to him and similar DJs (Guy Mantzur, for example) and then find other DJs from their sets and listen to that music.

Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast