Updating my setup/controller, need your recommendations!
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Updating my setup/controller, need your recommendations!

Hi all, things are going great and I want a new setup to become more professional. I use traktor on a laptop and a controller. Couple of things I don't like about traktor (see later) but I think I got to stick with it. I got my flow, tracks analysed and properly placed tons of cue points over the years. I used a Hercules 4MX and a custom mapping. People are looking funny when I arrive with this not-so-popular and modest controller, so I need something to be taken seriously
    Also, the Hercules is rather small, I'm missing some controls and some buttons don't react if you don't press the properly in the middle of the button - rather annoying.

Their is stuff in traktor I don't use: no scratch, STEMS, remix decks. I'm not a producer and not interested in remixing live. I sparsely use samples. But I do use loops, fx, filters. These last two I don't like in traktor (no decent delay! no option of adding external fx). And I did use Allen & Heath mixers in the past, I'd love to use those filters.

Things I'm looking for in the setup:
    on the mixer part
    -XLR output
    - FX on board or send/return options
    - good EQ and filters
    - ability to browse

on the deck part
    - trigger samples
    - trigger cuepoints
    - active, move and resize loops
    -scroll or move through a track (jogwheels maybe, but something to beatmatch manually, I do run some groovy tracks!)

I could buy a Native Instruments controller, but I feel like I probably be paying to much for stuff I don't use (STEMS-ready let's say). With the whole X1, F1, Z1,D2, Z2 range I'm confused about what to buy. I like the feel of a 'real' mixer, with FX and filters on board, ad maybe I can overcome the bad filter and fx by traktor this way?
    Z2 in combination with F1 and X1 might be something - though you stick with the traktor fx and filters.
    Then there is the A&H Xone range that looks really nice but does it work with traktor?
    Feel free to suggest a controller or a modular setup that could fit my (pretty oldskool) needs

Gonna have to pick and choose really. You aren't going to get external effects unless you get a fancy expensive mixer. But then unless you're planning on getting CDJs, it'll be hard to find a jog wheel replacement. Otherwise a fancy mixer, midi fighter 3D, a midi fighter twister, and a clever mapping might be fun to use.

Get yourself a nice 4 channel mixer, and (yes, Kwal!) a Zomo MC-1000.

Does absolutely everything you want it to.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Mentor elohyspoissonpilote's Avatar

PoissonPilote SetUp.jpg

Just for give you some ideas and answer to your questions.

The F1 remix deck controller is use:
    -for 1 track deck (Deck C) in the same way of the x1 with a custom mapping on the midi layer.
    -for remix deck (Deck D) mainly for triggering loops

Ableton is used for create beats on the fly ,added to the main mix and also used for external effects (delauy, reverb) sending from and back to xone92.

Tech Guru

The Zomo MC-1000 is great for deck transport, but I think it lacks sample launching. I'd add an F1 for that.

You can use any mixer you want with Traktor. If money is no object, I'd go A&H.
    Bedroom DJ | Pioneer DJM-800 | Pioneer CDJ2000 and CDJ900-NXS | 2 x Mackie MR8MKII | Sennheiser Amperior

Yeah - the F1 is lovely. Lots of fun.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Pioneer XDJ RX.

Quote Originally Posted by electroshock View Post
    Pioneer XDJ RX.
    Traktor.
    But yeah, a good choice if he decides to switch to Rekordbox.

Considering the need for external fx I would go for DDJ-SZ. Works decent with Traktor and he can later switch to Serato (licence supplied)/Rekordbox (he can use 14 days trial to test it) if he decides.
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

Quote Originally Posted by SlayForMoney View Post
    Traktor.

I know but limited FX control over Traktor FX's, center display doesn't work, jog displays don't work and I'm not sure about VU meters (not shown but should work?). Anyway, makes no sense to pay things he won't use while he might need 4 channels on the SZ, pads and nicer upfaders....
    I guess it all depends on the price.
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast