Controller djing boring
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Controller djing boring

Ok, first off this isn't a post knocking controllers or digital djing, just my personal opinion and experience.

I started off mixing on a mixtrack pro about 5 years ago, after really getting into house music. I loved it, and the mixtrack helped me grasp the basics of mixing.

After a year ago or so, I wanted to step up to more pro gear, so I bought a couple of cdj 1000s and a djm 600. Such a big step up from the mixtrack, and after about 6 months me and my mates started putting on a house and techno night in our town, which was pretty successful. The cdj style of mixing really appealed to me, beatmatching tunes is really enjoyable, and feels a lot more professional.

Anyway I went travelling around Australia for a couple of years, so bought an S2 to take over there for partys and what not. Had an amazing time, and threw some epic partys. However, after mixing on cdj's, it just felt like cheap gear, and although you can beatmatch with controllers.... Well its just not the same. However it was perfect for the time. Very portable, which for me is the main advantage of controllers.

So fast forward, I'm home, and it feels so good to ve back on the cdj's. I've just bought a Xone DB2, and a pair of 1210's for the vinyl only releases.

So what am I trying to say? I don't really know. Just that the more traditional way of mixing suits me I guess. Not beatmatching tunes takes away a lot of the enjoyment out of mixing. Not knocking digital DJ's, but I know what I prefer

Grabs popcorn...
    SC - WS

Sounds like you enjoy beatmatching more than you enjoy DJ'ing.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Sounds like you enjoy beatmatching more than you enjoy DJ'ing.
    Mixing without it makes it a lot more boring yes

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

I think it just comes down to the controller choice, the S2 did the trick as a portable solution but there are other controllers quite more comfortable to beatmatch with like the SX2 or even a SZ/RZ. It comes down to jogwheel and pitch fader resolution/size, with the S2 and Mixtrack lacking on the latter.

I find the most exciting part is doing things with the music.. trying different transititions, some FX, trying tunes that haven't been used in a while, being creative and using the function of the hardware/software to keep the floor busy, after all, if you are at it long enough, using the gear is second nature regardless if you like using sync or not.
    Controller DJ'ing, offers more function than other methods, and makes certain things easier, especially when you want to use the hardware to do more than basic track to track transitions. (but yea, a mixtrack is pretty basic as far as controllers are concerned - I personally wouldn't have one)
    And there's still room for more traditional DJ'ing methods.
    Don't like controllers? Don't use em, pretty simple, there's always DVS or HID..

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DJAdeSands; 09-21-2016 at 12:56 PM.
    Denon DJ/MC6000KMK2/Launchpad S/LaunchcontrolXL/Traktor Pro 2/Bringin it since 96.

Tech Mentor

Im with the OP basically controllers do feel cheap and nasty compared to a real setup they have their purpose I am not knocking them but sync ect you actually lose control if you know what your doing with a set of techs cdjs.

All that crap about giving you more time to do effects is bull imho.....

Quote Originally Posted by padi_04 View Post
    I think it just comes down to the controller choice, the S2 did the trick as a portable solution but there are other controllers quite more comfortable to beatmatch with like the SX2 or even a SZ/RZ. It comes down to jogwheel and pitch fader resolution/size, with the S2 and Mixtrack lacking on the latter.
    The software probably plays an important part too..

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Denon DJ/MC6000KMK2/Launchpad S/LaunchcontrolXL/Traktor Pro 2/Bringin it since 96.

Each to their own. My solution: Moar drunky
    Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Not every track needs FX. Not every track needs to be eleven minutes long. Not every track needs to be a minute thirty.

You are the DJ...
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast