Best set you ever heard?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Best set you ever heard?

Just wanted to share that last night I saw Guy Mantzur and Guy J play a set together. They're my two favorite DJs and I have been so pumped up for this for months. But it exceeded expectations. It was the most incredible music I've ever heard. I won't send you a link to any sets from either because nothing they have on the internet is anywhere near what I've heard from them. I saw Guy J play in Argentina a year ago and he's been my favorite DJ since. I got to hear Guy Mantzur a few months ago here and after playing this incredible set for just over an hour, the lights went on (in Mumbai, parties shut really early; that night it closed at 3:30, right after I peaked from the tab of acid I took). But I think what I learned is that these guys don't put their best stuff on the internet. Nothing compares to what I saw last night. I wonder if you guys have had the same experiences.

It wasn't really the song selection that did it. There weren't any tracks that were necessarily on a completely different level from what I've heard. But what they did with the music they played was mind bending. They kept playing all of these loops and doing all this crazy stuff with the FX. Then they'd drop it. Doesn't sound like anything out of the ordinary, I know, but the way they did it was unlike anything I've ever seen. I can't really figure out how else to describe it. You just had to be there.

Everyone around me seemed to think the same thing. I saw a few different people making phone calls with completely shellshocked faces. I went to some insane parties in Buenos Aires but I don't know if I've seen a crowd enjoy one the way they did last night. Everyone seemed dumbstruck.

The only downside is that people here aren't used to partying that late, so they get tired. The crowd thinned out and when they shut at 5 the dance floor had really thinned out. That doesn't happen in other major cities around the world, but it's the case here. They actually got to play for four hours, which is normal anywhere else, but in India the DJs that come here play really short sets (the night starts early, and the local DJs play forever, and then the international DJ will play the last hour or so...pretty lame). So while it was awesome, they couldn't quite maintain the energy level. I think what they played for the first hour or two was a lot of stuff they'd pre-prepared, with all of the loops I was talking about. The second two hours it was really hard to reach that peak. Guy J, who's actually my favorite of the two, plays more mellow and experimental music, and not quite as energetic as what was being played towards the beginning, and he was doing his thing a lot for the second two hours. It was great but the crowd was tired and thinning out (which is a shame, because that wouldn't happen anywhere else), so it made it harder for them. I'll admit though that I was pretty tired, too. I took my drugs too early this time (I didn't want a repeat of the Guy Mantzur incident, and I thought that they'd come on an hour earlier than they actually did), so that definitely was part of it. And I'm not used to partying the way I used to be. In Buenos Aires, I'd go out Friday and come back Saturday afternoon, and go out Saturday night and come back sometimes as late as Monday afternoon (no house parties, either). I could do that no problem. But now I'm two years older and my body isn't used to it.

I actually did get to meet Mantzur. During the peak of the set I told him that it was the best music I'd ever heard. He didn't understand me at first, gave me this confused and annoyed look, and the bouncer started to push me away. Then he figured it out and shook my hand with a very satisfied look on his face. Later on I saw him again when we were smoking a cigarette and got to talk to him for a little bit, which was cool but I was a little too off my face. As he went back in, he told us to "keep it going," which is what we all wanted but the crowd here couldn't. It seemed that in the latter half of the set both were really anxious and trying to reach what they had earlier, but it's impossible when the crowd is thinning out. I would've been disappointed if I were them, and judging by their facial expressions, I think they were. We let them down.

I think what I learned though is that some of these guys don't want their best sets on soundcloud or youtube. Of course for more mainstream artists that play at really big festivals and venues, that's not the case. But the three times I saw these guys play was just on a completely different level than their stuff I've listened to on the internet. There's a set I posted on here a while back of the two of them playing 'B2B' at Ibiza (which I assume means the same thing, that they sort of took turns playing). It was a decent set but absolutely nothing like what I heard last night...and that was at Ibiza. It may be that they don't get to play what they really want to play at the really upscale venues, or maybe they just don't like to put their best stuff on soundcloud. I don't know...what do you guys think?

Anyone want to share any memories?

Here's one of the tracks they played last night:
    https://soundcloud.com/user-66863231/khen-guy-j-prism

And here's a decent set of Mantzur's on soundcloud, although nothing compared to what i heard last night (the first two hours at least):

https://soundcloud.com/guy-mantzur/g...tina-tour-1115

Don't like the first track but the second is really good. Another thing is that these sets they put on soundcloud are only like an hour or so, so maybe we're missing the best parts.
    Last edited by dolcem; 09-24-2016 at 10:16 AM.

John Talabot's DJ Kicks mix is excellent - track selection, flow and transitions are all spot on.
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

Doc Martin: Songs about love and Understanding

https://www.mixcloud.com/ohm_r/doc-m...standing-1999/
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Fergus @ Pleasuredome 3rd Birthday c1994

Mind was blown.
    Live rig: Denon Prime (5000M's)
    Retired: Denon x1700, Denon SC3900's, Traktor, Technics SL1200's, my vinyl
    Wish list: Some Roland Aira stuff.

Tech Wizard

Pleasuredome... Nice bud.

Had quite a few, but 2 that stick out are a 4hr Four Tet set at Warehouse Project, and Carl Cox at Space. Also a psytrance set (not my music whatsoever) by an unknown dj at a bush doof in Perth Australia was heavenly, but I think that the copious amounts of acid, md, and ket are influencing my judgement there

Anja Schneider playing tech house is up there surprisingly.

Other than that, probably one of the many breaks sets I saw in London about a decade ago.. Stantons were always very good and Evil Nine were awesome (usually trod a line between Breaks and other things).
    SC - WS

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

I've heard so many amazing sets in various genres but this one simply took the biscuit in terms of crowd reaction, live mixing skills and all round "where it should be" atmosphere - Sasha at the very first Homelands in 1998.

Probably one of the most memorable sets I experienced (i'm not going to just say only "heard") ... it was absolutely nuts.

Some of Mr C's sets from the early 90's have done it for me as had one from Aubrey. they just flowed perfectly with top mixing and selection.

Paul Oakenfold - A Voyage Into Trance (1995)

The mix that got me (and countless others) exposed to trance music.

Acer E5 i7 16GB 512SSD 2TBHD ~ WIN 10 ~ TSP 2.11 ~ AUDIO 6 ~ DUAL X1s ~ DN-X1600 ~ SPECTRA ~ TWISTER ~ ATH-PRO500 MK2 ~ ZED6FX ~ AT2020

" I’m the Dude, so that’s what you call me. That or, uh His Dudeness, or uh Duder, or El Duderino, if you’re not into the whole brevity thing. "

Scuba's DJ-KiCKs mix is the one that made seriously want to consider DJing and it's the one that truly pushed me into listening to more 4x4 oriented electronic music. IDK if it's "the best" I've ever heard but it's the one I keep closest to my heart.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast