Needle recommendations for non-scratching?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Wizard

Default Needle recommendations for non-scratching?

Currently using Shure M477s, but I feel like they might be a little too rough on my records. Yes, I know how to adjust the weight of the tonearm and such. Any recommendations for good needles that are easy on vinyl/grooves?

White labels are my favorite for straight mixing. They have a very flat response across the frequency range. I have never heard hiss in the highs on records pressed pre-1973 either.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

I have used the Shure 35C for years.
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Tech Wizard

I'm not going to say anything new, but the DJ intended series of needles from Ortofon have a more spherical shape in order to be more gentle to the grooves of the record. I particularly like Ortofon Concorde Elektro, it's the newest model, and delivers a much more high output voltage (i.e. its louder) than the other Concordes and the M47 as well (right now I have the Elektro in one TT and a Shure M47 in the other and the difference is very noticiable). Cheers!

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by jjjjuan View Post
    I'm not going to say anything new, but the DJ intended series of needles from Ortofon have a more spherical shape in order to be more gentle to the grooves of the record. I particularly like Ortofon Concorde Elektro, it's the newest model, and delivers a much more high output voltage (i.e. its louder) than the other Concordes and the M47 as well (right now I have the Elektro in one TT and a Shure M47 in the other and the difference is very noticiable). Cheers!
    Thanks for this. I have a hookup for Ortofons so I will definitely look into these.

Tech Mentor

Big fan of Ortofon Concord Pro S

Tech Mentor

Whitelabels for me too pls
    Don't forget to factor in the price of replacement syli while you're doing your research.
    The Whitelabel styli are about half the price of the Stanton ones I was buying

I've used straight Ortofon con corder pro s, Ortofon Arkiv, and now White labels. I must say the White Labels sound the best and I won't be changing them, no problems back cueing either.
    Xone92/X1 MKII X 2/F1/Macbook Pro 13/Technics SL1210 MK2's
    https://soundcloud.com/timbo21-1/tracks

Radio Show Every Friday & Saturday Night 22.00-00.00 BST
    http://www.jazzlondonradio.com/timbo...-london-radio/

Quote Originally Posted by telemon
    I have a hookup for Ortofons...
    Good news. Use that hook-up.

If I didn't have a specific preference (and I do - M44's or Stanton 505s), or I wasn't going to scratch, I'd just get whichever ones I came up on cheapest...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Is his intuition that the M44-7's are damaging his records at all true? I use them at around 3g weight, balanced correctly, and haven't noticed anything. I have heard these are somewhat standard and the best value cartridges out there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast