Traktor dvs manual mixing problem - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tech Guru

Does it fall out of time if you mix with your ears?

ie if you stop chasing the BPM readouts, get a solid lock using beatmatching and your ears only, does it fall out of time?

I have a feeling you are chasing the phase meter and the bpm readouts rather than listening.

I was going to say the same but he says "The tracks are not massively out, but enough that it sounds terrible."
    Now if that's exaggerated maybe it's the normal wow and flutter or the tt has a speed stability problem which can be checked on the strobo.

Tech Wizard

I really hope It's not just the normal wow and flutter from using tt. It's making me not enjoy mixing using dvs and I love my technics. i have been using the jog wheels a lot more because they are better to mix with and I'm just using my technics when mixing vinyl. I've checked the strobo and they both look fine.

Maybe I'm being a perfectionist. Does anyone else struggle to do a perfect mix when using DVS?.

Tech Wizard

Like I said in my initial response, but let me clarify. You're using the phase meter to read "sync" and notice it pops out even though the Bpms are locked. Let's say your pitch bending the track slower so you put your hands on the platter. You're probably releasing your hands as soon as you see the phase meter set in the middle, and then it's instantly popping out as if you never pitched the record. Try overshooting the pitch bend on the phase meter. It's all about developing the touch. Traktor really exaggerates the TT movement using a higher frequency range so it's picking up on that motor correction.

So to re-iterate: overshoot the pitch bend by just a little and you will see Traktor correct it to the center of the phase meter.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by cyberninjitsu View Post
    Like I said in my initial response, but let me clarify. You're using the phase meter to read "sync" and notice it pops out even though the Bpms are locked. Let's say your pitch bending the track slower so you put your hands on the platter. You're probably releasing your hands as soon as you see the phase meter set in the middle, and then it's instantly popping out as if you never pitched the record. Try overshooting the pitch bend on the phase meter. It's all about developing the touch. Traktor really exaggerates the TT movement using a higher frequency range so it's picking up on that motor correction.

So to re-iterate: overshoot the pitch bend by just a little and you will see Traktor correct it to the center of the phase meter.
    Thanks I will try that tonight. Maybe I am being to delicate with my touch.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dj focus View Post
    Thanks I will try that tonight. Maybe I am being to delicate with my touch.
    I think the actual problem is that you are chasing the bpm on Traktor instead of using your ears.

The BPM value in Traktor will wobble, but it wont actually affect the phase if the tracks are properly beatmatched.

I have a full Traktor DVS for reference, and have no issues achieving as tight a mix as I do on vinyl.

Tech Wizard

I also get this with the same setup. Its not you thats at fault here. I havent found a fix yet either.

No matter what pressure you put onto the deck it just wont match them perfectly.

If your slowing a track, (phase about 5mm infront) with a little pressure, it goes into time then when you let go of the platter phase jumps back into the exact same place you started from (5mm infront again)

Too much pressure and it jumps 5mm behind on the phase and stays there. It never sits dead centre. The tracks are in time it just wont sit perfectly in sync, it always jumps out a couple of mm and its always to the same place.

Speeding up is the same, when you push it on, it sits in time for a split second then jumps out a couple of mm. Depending how much pressure you use it will either jump back to exactlty the same spot you started from or jump a couple of mm infront.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Gravyboat View Post
    I also get this with the same setup. Its not you thats at fault here. I havent found a fix yet either.

No matter what pressure you put onto the deck it just wont match them perfectly.

If your slowing a track, (phase about 5mm infront) with a little pressure, it goes into time then when you let go of the platter phase jumps back into the exact same place you started from (5mm infront again)

Too much pressure and it jumps 5mm behind on the phase and stays there. It never sits dead centre. The tracks are in time it just wont sit perfectly in sync, it always jumps out a couple of mm and its always to the same place.

Speeding up is the same, when you push it on, it sits in time for a split second then jumps out a couple of mm. Depending how much pressure you use it will either jump back to exactlty the same spot you started from or jump a couple of mm infront.
    Thats just a visual guide based on quantised values, it doesnt reflect the actual reality of phase in the real world.

ie if you are chasing the phase meter, then you are actually trying to chase a quantised value that is less accurate than your ears.

If you need a phase meter to get into sync, then you cant actually beatmatch and need to work on it before blaming the program.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by Gravyboat View Post

That's my problem exactly. Have you tried using any other set up? . I'm glad I'm not the only one who has noticed this. It's not like vinyl where it goes in then slowly drifts out. With dvs it literally jumps out.
    ImNoDj i know exactly what your saying about not chasing the phrase meter but i used that example in my video just to illustrate the problem. I enjoy ear mixing and try not to just visually match the bpm which i find just boring. Have you ever mixed two tracks where they are just slightly out and the kick drums cancel each other out? . I get this all the time where i match the beats prefect then traktor kicks them out just a fraction and the kick drums cancel each other out and it sounds like the bass has been taken out. What set up are you using? . Maybe it's just the s4.

Tech Wizard

Quote Originally Posted by ImNoDJ View Post
    Thats just a visual guide based on quantised values, it doesnt reflect the actual reality of phase in the real world.

ie if you are chasing the phase meter, then you are actually trying to chase a quantised value that is less accurate than your ears.

If you need a phase meter to get into sync, then you cant actually beatmatch and need to work on it before blaming the program.
    I can beatmatch ive had turntables for about 16 years. I just dont understand why it never sits in sync on the screen. Yes it sounds fine and i only really use the screen for loading tracks. Its just somthing id noticed and wondered if it was like that for everyone or an issue with mine.

How come if i use the s4, phase is slightly out. I move the jog wheel and it just moves exactly into place? With dvs it never sits in sync its always about 5mm either side.

So everyone who has dvs, the tracks never sit perfect on the screen? Im not talking about what you hear. I know it sounds ok, i'm just curious as to why it never lines up on the screen. It dosnt really bother me cos it sounds ok but since someone made a thread i'll chip in my experience with it.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast