Any DJ's getting into producing?
    Tech Wizard

Default Any DJ's getting into producing?

Any DJ's getting into producing? I'm going back and forth between two and becoming financially burn out with both. Just wondering if you guys do both how do you balance both.
    -DJing-Mp3 pools monthly fee, Turntable maintenance (cleaning I need to get done, replace RCA's), record cleaner, new stylus,
    -Producing-Software upgrades, new vst's, new mix plug ins,

You must be joking. It's never been cheaper to do either. Sounds like your problem is spending - not the perceived "expensiveness" of this game.

Quote Originally Posted by dj4ever
    -DJing-Mp3 pools monthly fee, Turntable maintenance (cleaning I need to get done, replace RCA's), record cleaner, new stylus,
    No need to join record pools. Turntable maintenance - you can learn to do this yourself (not so necessary if you treat your TT's with the love and respect that they deserve). record cleaner - use cheap ass lighter fluid. New stylus - if your gear is properly set up, styli can last for AGES. I scratch A LOT, and I don't have to replace mine regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by dj4ever
    -Producing-Software upgrades, new vst's, new mix plug ins,
    You can get free versions of absolutely everything you could possibly need.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

definitely a cheap time to get into producing. i hadn't for ages but this last year picked up a bunch of synths. what u can get these days for the price is just amazing... my next 3 will be the arturia drumbrute (next week), tb-03 (in a couple of weeks) and then the monologue as soon as it's released...

edit: picked up a pair of reloop rp7000 limited edition gold decks 2 days ago. it's sooooooo good to have decks again really regret selling my 1200's back in 2006 or so.
    Last edited by zestoi; 11-19-2016 at 10:29 PM.
    11mba / 13mbp / tsp2 / live9 / audio10 / 2x reloop rp7000gold / 2x xdj1000 / 2x d2
    maschine mk2 / x1 mk2 / z1 / f1 / midifighter / lpd8 / 2x launchpad / launchkontrol xl
    Quote Originally Posted by derschaich
    "wohoo, i'm touched, turn on the FX"

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post

You must be joking. It's never been cheaper to do either....
    +1 on this! i spent loads on kit years ago, but find myself going back to my Korg M1 vst and Sonic Academy's A.N.A. vst everytime...both are imo the best value for money synths around. I can make virtually any sound i want from those 2
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2.7, MBP 13", iPad 2 & TouchOSC, Reloop NEON, Pioneer DJM750mk2, Mackie d.2, Pioneer CDJ800 x2, Technics SL1210MK2 x2, NI Audio 6 DJ, Dicers,

If you go back to the late 80's when stereo sampling was coming in with the likes of Synclavia, Fairlight, etc., then you'll know expense.

Frankie Goes to Hollywood was done on Synclavia and that was something like £60k
    Then there was the studio and desk - hundreds of thousands. It's mind boggling what you can do today with a few hundred quid. Obviously the sky can still be the limit.

DJ wise I picked up a couple of OEM decks at £130 each. They are 90% as good as my old Technics I sold.
    Xone92/X1 MKII X 2/F1/Macbook Pro 13/Technics SL1210 MK2's
    https://soundcloud.com/timbo21-1/tracks

Radio Show Every Friday & Saturday Night 22.00-00.00 BST
    http://www.jazzlondonradio.com/timbo...-london-radio/