DJs paid to search for unlicensed samples in new releases???
    Tech Student

Default DJs paid to search for unlicensed samples in new releases???

Hi all!

Im a grad student in musicology at the University of Oxford and am trying to do research about how sampling practices and US copyright law have interacted.

What I'm particularly interested in is talking to DJs who have been hired by law firms and record companies' legal departments to find and report potential instances of unlicensed sampling. So please, anyone who has done this work, or anyone who knows someone who's done it, I would greatly appreciate having a discussion w/ you!

I'm also interested in hearing anyone's opinion about the current state of US copyright law as it pertains to sampling, from anyone who has been affected by this branch of the law, and thoughts about the morality and ethics of sampling more generally.

Please feel free to PM me if youd prefer

Default DJs or Producers???

Quote Originally Posted by JARchuk View Post
    Hi all!

Im a grad student in musicology at the University of Oxford and am trying to do research about how sampling practices and US copyright law have interacted.

What I'm particularly interested in is talking to DJs who have been hired by law firms and record companies' legal departments to find and report potential instances of unlicensed sampling. So please, anyone who has done this work, or anyone who knows someone who's done it, I would greatly appreciate having a discussion w/ you!

I'm also interested in hearing anyone's opinion about the current state of US copyright law as it pertains to sampling, from anyone who has been affected by this branch of the law, and thoughts about the morality and ethics of sampling more generally.

Please feel free to PM me if youd prefer
    Well first of all I think you are not looking for DJs but for Producers as I don't think the way DJs use Sampling in their Live Performances would be any other legal Problem than using other peoples Music in General.

There was an interesting case in Germany which last over 10 years and still isn't closed.
    Rapper and Hiphop Producer Moses Pelham sampled a Beat of a Kraftwerk Song to create a new Song of ist own:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2...supreme-court/