Renaming my music collection.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Renaming my music collection.

Hi,

Having just downloaded Mixed in Key 8 and using Rekordbox , I have decided to start as i mean to go on and rename the music that i have so its easier to tag and find. I don't have a massive library so id rather do it now so any future music i use i can do it this way to make it easier.

I am therefore going to download my itunes music aswell as the music that i have locally, and one by one rename them so that when i put them in a folder (that will be backed up twice on 2 different hard drives) and MIK adds the key and energy to it , it should look something like this..

ARTIST-SONG-MIX (and MIK will add the Key and Energy in the comments)

Anything i need to know, that i may have missed, before i start?

Matt
    Last edited by immortal; 11-06-2016 at 09:27 PM.

Tech Convert

Ok, I seem to be hitting a bit of a snag..

My workflow is as follows..

Rename the track and then adding it to a new folder called BULK which is where i plan on putting all my music. I then dd the files to MIK 8 and let it analyse the key and energy of the song. When it does that , it doesnt keep the same structure of the way i have edited it. For example

BEFORE: 01-Mirage[club mix]
    AFTER: Armin van Buuren - Mirage - (Club Mix)

and in MIK it shows Armin van Buuren-Mirage[club mix]

Is it best to drag the files to MIK first and then rename them in that and then drag them to my Rekordbox collection?

Matt

Tech Convert

Hi,
    I have the following..
    Mac Mini i7
    Pioneer DDJ-RB Controller
    Mixed in Key 8
    Music from various places (iTunes, Beatport, Juno etc) all in MP3/AAC
    I am wanting to put all my music in 1 place (and have that backed up a few times) and have been trying to rename all the music as the id3 tags are all rubbish as some are from a compilation so have the track number etc. I wanted to rename them with the following way ARTIST - SONG - MIX and then i can search really easy and see them really easy in the future. Im having problems as when i rename them in the place they are stored, then put them in MIK , they are showing the crap in the id3 tags. I have tried stripping the id3 tags with a program but it strips the artwork too and dont want hassle rooting round for the artwork etc
    Any ideas?
    Matt

Are you using Tags? If you're not, you should. Also, it might be more useful to have MiK put the Key/Energy at the beginning of the filename, instead of in the comments field. My filenames look like this:

Key - Tempo - Artist - Title (Mix/Remix)

I also put the mix/remix title in brackets after the Title. These elements of the filename are also automatically added in the Tags for the file.

Get into the habit of populating your tags. Use MP3Tag (free software).
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Convert

For example , i was using this as the filename..

Armin van Buuren - Alone - (Ian Standerwick Mix)

I thought it best to let MIK put the key and energy in the comments as its not shown on the filename?

MP3tag is windows only and I'm on mac.

Matt

Tech Mentor

I've been using MusicBrainz Picard a lot recently to organise all my music, it's great if your music is in the database but it's easy enough to add yourself if it's not.

I've set it up with my own collection on musicbrainz to keep track of the music i own. Then use Picard to tag my files, rename them (with a custom script using the tags) and organise the folder structure (again using the tags).

It's been working well for my "Not so DJ music", haven't got round to sorting out my collection of more clubby tunes yet so don't know how many of these will be in the database.

What ever you do don't rename each file manually. Get your tags in order then use a program to auto name the files and preferably also put them in folders using the tags.
    Xone DB4 | Pioneer DDJ-SP1 | DJ Tech CDJ 101 (x2) | Serato DJ
    NI X1 MKII | NI Scratch A6 | MF Twister | Traktor Pro 2
    Sennheiser HD 25 II | KRK Rokit 5 (x2) | Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
    Mixed In Key 8 | MusicBrainz Picard | Mixxx 2

Tech Mentor

Kid 3 was my go to before I started using musicbrainz picard, if you want to add tags manually this is a great program. It can generate tags from filenames and filenames from tags. Run on windows, mac os and linux.
    Last edited by rob2192; 11-07-2016 at 10:05 AM.
    Xone DB4 | Pioneer DDJ-SP1 | DJ Tech CDJ 101 (x2) | Serato DJ
    NI X1 MKII | NI Scratch A6 | MF Twister | Traktor Pro 2
    Sennheiser HD 25 II | KRK Rokit 5 (x2) | Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
    Mixed In Key 8 | MusicBrainz Picard | Mixxx 2

The key is having the files correctly named to start with, this makes it much easier to tag, and in turn easier to add key to comments.
    Bulk Rename utility, get em all in uniformity,
    MP3Tag - Tag in accordance to filename,
    Then MIK.. and don't let MIK rename anything, stick it in a comments tag or comments 2, the DJ software will pick this up on it's browser.
    Denon DJ/MC6000KMK2/Launchpad S/LaunchcontrolXL/Traktor Pro 2/Bringin it since 96.

Your best bet is to reorganize within serato/rekorbox then export / backup entire library to external. Then wipe computer and reimport files.

Renaming all the files is kind of pointless. I use MIK to make everything CAPS to make everything easier to read

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk
    --> (2) Technics 1200 mk2, (1) Technics 1200 m3d, (1) Technics 1200 mk5, Pioneer DJM-S9, Rokit 5 Monitors, BX8 Monitor, TSP2, SDJ, DJP4M (DjProForMac), 2015 Macbook Pro (Quad Core i7 2.5ghz, 16GB RAM, 2GB AMD-R9, 1GB SSD) <--

Quote Originally Posted by DjLiquitATL View Post
    Your best bet is to reorganize within serato/rekorbox then export / backup entire library to external. Then wipe computer and reimport files.

Renaming all the files is kind of pointless. I use MIK to make everything CAPS to make everything easier to read

Sent from my STV100-2 using Tapatalk
    This would rely on the Tags being correct though, would it not?
    Denon DJ/MC6000KMK2/Launchpad S/LaunchcontrolXL/Traktor Pro 2/Bringin it since 96.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast