How do I do a warm up set when I only play my own productions?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default How do I do a warm up set when I only play my own productions?

I've been asked to potentially open for some random DJ (that I've never heard of). I understand the etiquette of not playing out high energy bangers as the warm up DJ, but I've never opened for another DJ before (I've only done small parties using my own music). Is it ok to play my own high energy productions that I've produced on my own?

What time is your slot? and how long are you playing? What type of music is the headliner playing?
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Tech Convert

I do not know the details of my time slot yet. The DJ I'm opening for plays mainly techno.

what kind of techno? what kind of music do you play?
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

I would check out the guy your warming up for and listen to some of his recent sets or get in touch and find out the style of techno he plays. Maybe hook up for a jam together before hand and then you can see for yourself, ask the promoter who hired you what sort of mood he wants for the night. Failing all that I would pack some varying music - cover all your bases and get 200 tracks together of 4 different styles of warm up techno, you might have 50 melodic techno tracks, 50 dark techno tracks, 50 dub techno tracks etc that way you can adapt to an uncertain situation with some level of confidence

EDIT - Regarding playing your own productions do you have enough time to do some less energetic stripped back edits of you material so its more suited to a warm up?

If you can't play a warm-up set either work hard to learn / prepare it or don't accept the gig. There is nothing wrong with turning a gig down that doesn't suit your style but there is a lot wrong with playing said gig and ruining your reputation, the gig of the main act, etc.

Regarding learning... it's not that hard. Listen to live sets, watch videos of the main act. Or simply contact him and ask him about what he is going to play. You will probably have to soften your "own songs only" policy but this can also be a nice trigger to learn something new.

You ONLY play your own productions? You mean for a full set you'll only play stuff that you've made?
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    You ONLY play your own productions? You mean for a full set you'll only play stuff that you've made?
    While I understand the want to demonstrate yourself as a producer, honestly the crowd probably doesn't care who made the songs as long as they fit the mood.

Tech Convert

yes I play only my own productions.

my productions are mainly techno and the sound matches the DJ i'm warming up to (at least the vibe of it matches). my only concern is that my music is too energetic and is not "warm-up" material. i haven't committed yet, should i turn it down?

I've been Googling around, at it seems that there have been other situations in the past where the warm up dj plays his own hard bangers that they made them selves before the headliner (Skrillex used to open up for deadmau5 using his own material). I'm guessing it's ok?

Tech Wizard

I understand that you're a producer who's also a DJ. I'm assuming you want to only play your own tracks cause:

- you want traction/be known for those tracks/show how good producer you're to the headliner
    - test your tracks

It's a question of balance. If you think you can pull it off by playing only your material and not piss off the promoter/headliner by banging the shit out of your warm up set, then go for it. At most, you may have to make some 'softer edits' of your track or turn down the bpm etc, if you're hell bent on just playing your stuff.

Unless I'm playing a live set, I wouldn't be hell bent on just playing my tracks. Rather I'll use the best ones and use other tracks as fillers, so that if there's a highlight moment - people/artists will remember that track.

That said, if a producer is hell bent on just playing his tracks even though it doesn't fit the mood/environment, then you're doing a disservice as a DJ.
    Last edited by tranceaddict; 11-18-2016 at 10:46 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast