Christmas is coming - Digital Audio Recorder Recommendations? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Can the Tascam DR-40 handle input directly from a mixer's record output without attenuation to keep from clipping?

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Seth Hollender View Post
    Can the Tascam DR-40 handle input directly from a mixer's record output without attenuation to keep from clipping?
    Yes. But it's not quite that simple. You do need to set the levels appropriately. The DR-40 can also record a "safety track" at -12dB...and that has sometimes saved me.
    Denon X1600, NI X1 Mk1 & Mk2, MF Twister
    Kontrol S2, Maschine Mk1, APC 40
    Retired: VCI-100 Arcade (Signed #198/300))
    BFM 10x DR200 & 10x Titan 39

Quote Originally Posted by loverocket View Post
    Make sure you test record and get everything sorted out.

I have a Zoom H1 and I hooked it up to a Pioneer DJM 900 and the signal was too hot and it would clip. Nothing I could do to stop it.

I had to add a small mixer to attenuate the signal for recording.

Digital recorders are picky about their input.
    I wonder if it's related to the Pioneer's way of showing levels and master atten. settings?
    Denon X600 - 2x Denon SC-2000 - AKG K181DJ - NI Audio 2

Quote Originally Posted by soundinmotiondj View Post
    Tascam DR-40.

I use RCA to 1/4" cables to connect the recorder to the mixer record output. I alternate between recording "ambient" to get some crowd noise, and recording the "safety track" @ -12dB.

https://www.amazon.com/DR-40-4-Track.../dp/B005NACC6M
    See I don't want or need to record ambient at all - it's not something that interests me for a DJ set recording.

Quote Originally Posted by soundinmotiondj View Post
    Yes. But it's not quite that simple. You do need to set the levels appropriately. The DR-40 can also record a "safety track" at -12dB...and that has sometimes saved me.
    I've read about this with different recorders - and some folks recommend actual line attenuators which lower the output off the mixer to -12 by default. Apparently DJ mixers shoot a line level which is higher than the regular consumer grade line level - which makes sense but just makes for a pain when trying to record.

I know this wouldn't be an issue for my mixer at home (the Rane TTM-56) because I can record from the AUX output which has it's own variable volume control knob - but I know Pioneer mixers I encounter in the wild would run hot.

This is what gets complicated for everyone - and has really held me back from purchasing something up to this point where it's really becoming a necessity rather than just a want.

I'm looking between the Zoom H1 (with attenuators) ~$100ish, Tascam DR-40 ~$140ish, Zoom H4N ~200ish, and then up from there.

Simplicity and battery life is the most important. The Zoom H4N seems to be taking the cake there but the price is higher than the others. Frankly I like the Zoom H5 and Zoom H6 because I could take the stupid extra mic off on the top (which is completely useless for my purpose) but is it worth the extra in price just so I can remove a "feature" from the device? I don't know.

Either way, going to try and make a call before Christmas - have a gig on NYE I'd really like to record.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12