Beginner to this, a little help.

Default Beginner to this, a little help.

Hi all
    I am a complete beginner to all PA systems/DJing but I am quite interested.
    I want to get a small party system right now for about an average of 60 people sometimes more sometimes less.

I am thinking of buying two SkyTec CSA-12 12" 600w speakers as they are active and I was wondering what would be the best way to connect a an audio input from probably an iPhone/laptop?

If it is through a mixer do I then need to make sure the wattage of the mixer is ok for the speakers or is that just for amplifiers?

Can anyone recommend some good (cheap ish?) active speakers and a mixer that is quite lowend that would suit my need.
    I have a budget of roughly £350?
    Thanks!

Hi Ollie,

If you're going to invest any money into speakers I would try to stay with a known brand. You can pick up Behringer B210D's for £ 140.00 each. Behringer makes a good quality entry-level speaker.

As for a mixer, it all depends on what your future plans are. If you are planning on expanding to bigger speakers, a DJ controller, etc. then a mixer may be worth buying. If you don't plan to go that route and just want to play music at parties the B210D's have inputs on the back that allow you to plug your laptop/iPod directly into them. You can plug your laptop into the audio input on one speaker and link the speakers using a standard XLR cable (microphone cable.) This would be the most cost effective way on your limited budget.

Here is a link to the speakers: https://www.musicstore.de/en_GB/GBP/...PAH0008551-000

I hope this helps!

Troy

Default Quality for cheap??? No Way!!!

The main Question is What Budget do you have???

I am working with the Fender Passport Serie.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_pas...assport_357898

Perfect for Mobile Parties:
    - Fast Setup
    - Good Quality product that doesn't break apart by the first use.
    - Multiple Channels. (I take my 2 Outs of my Controller separated each on an own channel and still can plug in my 2 Wireless Microphones which I even can separately then give more Highs or Lows...depending on the voice of the Person using the mike)
    - Nice build -in MP3 Player
    - Compact built, as big and as heavy as a Luggage, very convenient for storage between 2 gigs.
    the Advantage when Mobile Djing is that I carry the Fender in 1 Hand and the Speaker Stand-Bag in the other and can Transport my PA all by myself 1 one Transport...if you have 2 big Speakers you Need to walk a second time for the stands-bag.
    - Good connectivity (Controller can be connected directly no Need for a Mixer)
    - Good Effects (Reverb)

Weak Points might be:

- The Power of the Bass might be a bit too light for Elctronic Music (might be at every Active Speaker except System combined with a Woofer). But an additional Subwoofer can be plugged in, the System-Speakers Bass section will then Automatically be shortcut.
    - The Quality of the 2 Cables are very low...I bought additional 20m cables to have the Quality I require for mobile use.

I know it is over your Budget but sincerly I don't think you will get 2 Speakers and a Mixer of a such Quality for your Budget of 350.

This Thing would be an investion for Life, I know a band using their Passport for over 15 years now.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Nawlins View Post
    The main Question is What Budget do you have???

I am working with the Fender Passport Serie.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/fender_pas...assport_357898

Perfect for Mobile Parties:
    - Fast Setup
    - Good Quality product that doesn't break apart by the first use.
    - Multiple Channels. (I take my 2 Outs of my Controller separated each on an own channel and still can plug in my 2 Wireless Microphones which I even can separately then give more Highs or Lows...depending on the voice of the Person using the mike)
    - Nice build -in MP3 Player
    - Compact built, as big and as heavy as a Luggage, very convenient for storage between 2 gigs.
    the Advantage when Mobile Djing is that I carry the Fender in 1 Hand and the Speaker Stand-Bag in the other and can Transport my PA all by myself 1 one Transport...if you have 2 big Speakers you Need to walk a second time for the stands-bag.
    - Good connectivity (Controller can be connected directly no Need for a Mixer)
    - Good Effects (Reverb)

Weak Points might be:

- The Power of the Bass might be a bit too light for Elctronic Music (might be at every Active Speaker except System combined with a Woofer). But an additional Subwoofer can be plugged in, the System-Speakers Bass section will then Automatically be shortcut.
    - The Quality of the 2 Cables are very low...I bought additional 20m cables to have the Quality I require for mobile use.

I know it is over your Budget but sincerly I don't think you will get 2 Speakers and a Mixer of a such Quality for your Budget of 350.

This Thing would be an investion for Life, I know a band using their Passport for over 15 years now.
    Quote Originally Posted by DyerTM View Post
    Hi Ollie,

If you're going to invest any money into speakers I would try to stay with a known brand. You can pick up Behringer B210D's for £ 140.00 each. Behringer makes a good quality entry-level speaker.

As for a mixer, it all depends on what your future plans are. If you are planning on expanding to bigger speakers, a DJ controller, etc. then a mixer may be worth buying. If you don't plan to go that route and just want to play music at parties the B210D's have inputs on the back that allow you to plug your laptop/iPod directly into them. You can plug your laptop into the audio input on one speaker and link the speakers using a standard XLR cable (microphone cable.) This would be the most cost effective way on your limited budget.

Here is a link to the speakers: https://www.musicstore.de/en_GB/GBP/...PAH0008551-000

I hope this helps!

Troy

Thanks for your replies

If necessary I could up my budget to £500-£600 as I don't want something breaking on me. Do you guys have any advice for stopping speakers being damaged from loud music? Say I am at a party someone else may turn up the speakers. Can you get locks for the volume?
    Thanks

Hi Ollie,

The advantage to using active (powered) speakers is the fact that the manufacturer matches the amp to the speaker making it considerably more difficult to blow the speaker even at extreme volume levels. Behringer amps use what they call "processor controlled output."

Dynamic processing is one of the best ways to maximize output without sacrificing sound quality. The D Series' built-in circuitry automatically adjusts program content, allowing the loudspeaker to operate at extreme levels. It accomplishes this by reducing bass output slightly as you approach the limit of the transducers. This frees up LF amp and transducer resources, so that higher overall volume can be realized. It's like having a tiny soundman inside each cabinet constantly monitoring and changing output parameters. By making subtle changes to the crossover frequency and the audio content, the system is able to crank out more sound - without the slightest hint of distortion.
    I have a pair of Mackie SRM450's that I use for small/medium events. I've had people try to "crank it up" and they usually back off before we even get close to maxing the speakers out.

My best suggestion is to just take your time, research, read the forums and ask questions before spending your hard earned money. Everyone has different opinions and experiences. Learn from all of them and make an informed decision. I hope this helps!

Have a great day/night!

Troy

youre going to need a bigger budget