Do DJs make live mashups or they edit one in advance?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do DJs make live mashups or they edit one in advance?

During a live set in popular events like UMF or Tomorrowland, DJs sometimes play great mashups. How could they always create so perfect mashups during live performances? Is there a chance that they're editing or recording the mashups in advance?

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

It depends on who is up on stage. Some people already have those pre-made, others like James Zabiela do everything on the spot.

A good sign to check for is if they are using 2 or more players.

It really depends on the person bruv.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

i think many times, its not even their own mash-up, just one they found, but i have definitely seen some DOPE live remixing and mash ups....
    Traktor/Ableton /Komplete /MBP OSX el capitan

http://www.soundcloud.com/deejaesnafu

Yes.
    "Walking the fine line between Stupidity and Genious" My Soundcloud ---- My Mixcloud
    MBP Retina 2015--TSP 2.10--2xDNSC5000--2xDNSC2900--2xDNSC2000--NI F1--Denon DN-X1700--HDJ2000--Stanton STR8-80--QSC K12's--Crown Amplifier--Urei Monitors

More and more, I've seen that they are pre-prepared. And it's so easy to do.

I understand your question - because it CAN be done live, but it's so rare that a simple Acca/instr mash is done live.

Zabeila was mentioned earlier - but what he does is so far beyond mashing an instr and an acca together, that I'd argue that it's more like composing than it is just layering 2 tracks together.

Learn to make 'em yourself. You'll save yourself YEARS of wondering if you should learn how to do it live, or just pre-make 'em!
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

if i have 3+ player, i mix everything live, if i only have 2, i will make mashups

Well a simple advice if a DJ is really Mixing/Mashuping, etc... is already if he has his Hands on on his Equipment.

If DJs have time to make Heart Signs during 3/4 of their Set (I will not Name anybody but everyone knows which ones I mean) then nothing of what you hear might be "Handmade" (Live).

I've always had loads of practise any mashups that I've done, so it can be easily replicated live. I wouldn't blame anyone for pre-recording, but it really does add to the overall experience doing it live in front of an audience
    Denon DJ/MC6000KMK2/Launchpad S/LaunchcontrolXL/Traktor Pro 2/Bringin it since 96.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast