2017 I want to finally realise my dream of starting to DJ

Default 2017 I want to finally realise my dream of starting to DJ

Hello Fellow DJTECHTOOLS members

Ive been a massive fan of DJTECHTOOLS for almost 2 years now and have finally registered today!!!

My passion for djing comes from the likes of Richie Hawtin(MINUS) & Dubfire(SCI TEC). I love the minimal techno sound these 2 icons represent.

I am wanting to start djing with TRAKTOR. Only djing techno digitally. I was thinking of starting with a Kontrol S5.... Eventually when my financial situation is adequate i would like to move over to a modular system with a Xone 43C mixer and 2 Allen and Heath K2 controllers. But for now I'm thinking of buying the S5 as my first foray into djing.

Ive seen the S5 on Amazon.co.uk for £350 albeit with a slight scuff to the exterior.

i have two questions:
    1) Would you advise going with the S5? (as i only want to play Techno with SYNC - not interested in the beat matching side of Djing)
    2) Can you use the MF Twister with the S5?

thank you for putting up with my noob questions.

happy holidays from London UK
    Hudson

DJTT Administrator del Ritmo padi_04's Avatar

The S5 would be a nice option but regardless of you playing with Sync or not you'll need to learn how to beatmatch and set grids properly, that way if things are drifting you'll be able to identify it before it becomes a train-wreck.

Regarding Twister, works perfectly fine along the S5. If anything this combo makes for a more portable version of the S8 with quite a similar feature set.

Since you'll be buying used make sure you test every single control on the device at least twice and check wether the listing. either includes a Traktor Pro 2 license or if not then put some money aside for that.

Thanks for the reply Padi! Appreciate the help....think I'm about to press "buy"

Beat matching is a skill that you should most definitely practice. It does not take long to learn and it is an awesome ah-ha moment when you can hear each track independently while they are both playing.
    Last edited by Redlight; 12-30-2016 at 05:42 PM.
    Technics 1210 MKII (x2) ~ Pioneer DDJ-RX ~ Allen & Heath Xone 2:02 ~ Traktor Pro 2 ~ Rekordbox DJ ~ Novation Dicer

Quote Originally Posted by Redlight View Post
    Beat matching is a skill that you should most definitely practice. It does not take long to learn and it is an awesome ah-ha moment when you can hear each track independently while they are both playing.

Thanks for the reply Redlight. Appreciate the support.

Quote Originally Posted by HudsonGillman View Post
    Thanks for the reply Redlight. Appreciate the support.
    No problem. Good luck man.
    Technics 1210 MKII (x2) ~ Pioneer DDJ-RX ~ Allen & Heath Xone 2:02 ~ Traktor Pro 2 ~ Rekordbox DJ ~ Novation Dicer

Don't go for S5. For that price you can also get a Numark NVII/DDJ SX2 with two JOG WHEELS and the chance for learning real Djing with them. Push the buttons it's ok, I respect that. But if you want to ENJOY, yes I mean really enjoy and feel satisfied with your mixing, I would recommend a controller with jog wheels. You'll get bored with that sync easy mixes.

Quote Originally Posted by The Lazy One View Post
    Don't go for S5. For that price you can also get a Numark NVII/DDJ SX2 with two JOG WHEELS and the chance for learning real Djing with them. Push the buttons it's ok, I respect that. But if you want to ENJOY, yes I mean really enjoy and feel satisfied with your mixing, I would recommend a controller with jog wheels. You'll get bored with that sync easy mixes.
    It depends person to person. You can't assume just because someone is using an S5 that they're using sync. Not really sure how getting something with jogs will stop that either, since I quite a few people who use DDJ-SX2s but use sync. If guy wants to use sync, that's his choice. What satisfies him =/= what satisfies you.

"Real DJing" isn't decided by the method of DJing at all, and that's kind of a toxic mentality to have.

I'm not against sync. I was talking about having fun at the end of the day. I was just explaining him/her that I've tried both and I can tell you Beatmatch is a very fun game.