MP3 files oragnization tips
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default MP3 files oragnization tips

I have thousands of mp3 files mixed up by BPM and I want to sort and physically separate them by BPM in order to facilitate my djing hobby.
    I use traktor and I know that the software analyze the files and tag the BPM. However, onde I leave the software, the folders remains the same without any BPM sort. AS traktor playlist have limited number of songs you can add, I have to search for similar BPM in several playlists (I am RnB addicted so 90% of my files are RnB) to find other BPM like songs.
    Is there a batch way for me to read the BPM and maybe incorporate the BPM value in the file name OR after BPM analysis, separate the files in diferent folders by BPM ranges i.e, 80-90BPM in one folder, 92-100 BPM in another folder and so on?
    As I mentioned, I have thousands of files and I wish I could find a batch or automated way to do it instead of changing each file name.
    Thanks a lot for your help!!

Quote Originally Posted by PedroOliveiraDJ View Post
    I have thousands of mp3 files mixed up by BPM and I want to sort and physically separate them by BPM in order to facilitate my djing hobby.
    I use traktor and I know that the software analyze the files and tag the BPM. However, onde I leave the software, the folders remains the same without any BPM sort. AS traktor playlist have limited number of songs you can add, I have to search for similar BPM in several playlists (I am RnB addicted so 90% of my files are RnB) to find other BPM like songs.
    Is there a batch way for me to read the BPM and maybe incorporate the BPM value in the file name OR after BPM analysis, separate the files in diferent folders by BPM ranges i.e, 80-90BPM in one folder, 92-100 BPM in another folder and so on?
    As I mentioned, I have thousands of files and I wish I could find a batch or automated way to do it instead of changing each file name.
    Thanks a lot for your help!!
    Rekordbox does that for me being honest. i had hard drive upon hard drives. Still organising it now but it deefinately helps

Tech Convert

Mixed in Key will do that exact job for you, and more.

Tech Convert

Serato could help you, Serato analyzes key and bpm and you can put them in crates and sort them by then.

Personally, I sort all my music in itunes so that it can be linked to all softwares may it be rekordbox, traktor or serato. Its just more convenient that way. I sort it by genre then I let serato do the arranging by bpm.

I use iTunes to organize my music. I find doing it there allows me to export to Serato and Rekordbox easily and seamlessly.

Generally when I buy music I import it into iTunes. Within iTunes I make sure the ID3 labels are correct. I then open up Mixed in Key and run the tunes through that. I then replay all the tunes I purchased quickly through iTunes - just to update the key (which I keep in the comments section). I then open Serato and analyze my music, then open Rekordbox and analyze my music.

Once that's all done I go back into iTunes and organize my playlists. Utilizing smart playlists I can find what I need easily - it's just a matter of making sure everything is labeled correctly. Exporting a playlist to Serato and Rekordbox is what I personally like to do (I find it loads faster) - but both of those programs also natively pull from iTunes as well.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

MiK
    MP3Tag
    iTunes

If Traktor writes the Tempo/Key tag to the .mp3 file (does it?), you can cut out MiK from the process.

regardless of whether or not you use the Tempo/Key tags, MP3Tag + iTunes Smart Playlists is TRULY invincible when it comes to organisation...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Convert

Is there any point analysing tracks with rekordbox ect before putting them on a usb for use in a pair of CDJ 400s?

Quote Originally Posted by penners View Post
    Is there any point analysing tracks with rekordbox ect before putting them on a usb for use in a pair of CDJ 400s?
    No. In fact it's better that you don't - as with Rekordbox analyzing it puts the tracks into specific folders so it's a pain the ass to sort through (on non rekordbox ready players).

My best recommendation is just moving the files directly to the USB in their own folder.

For reference I know this only because I've had to play off my Rekordbox analyzed USB sticks in someone's computer before because CDJs weren't there when I was specifically told they would be before a gig. I now have a specific folder on my drives ready for this situation.
    BREAKBEATS AND OTHER MUSICAL ADVENTURES
    Facebook - Soundcloud - Mixcloud - Mixlr - Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    If Traktor writes the Tempo/Key tag to the .mp3 file (does it?), you can cut out MiK from the process.
    It does but the key detection is awful compared to MiK.
    Live rig: Denon Prime (5000M's)
    Retired: Denon x1700, Denon SC3900's, Traktor, Technics SL1200's, my vinyl
    Wish list: Some Roland Aira stuff.

I use Meta after running my files through Traktor for bpm and key. It's like $15 but it has batch file rename where you can set it to be whatever you want - for example bpm/title/artist or bpm/key/artist/title. It's a Mac app, I believe there are free options for Windows users but if you're on Mac this is the best program I've found. It also has batch file structuring similar to what iTunes will do when you use it to organize within folders, except you can customize how the folders break down.

Beatport Pro is also worth mentioning, it is a lot less bloated than iTunes software and has some great features such as fetching tag data (if the song is in their store) as well as album art. When syncing to the Beatport store, you can select which tags you would like to include on your file. So you don't have to use their genre labeling basically. There are also tons of additional tags you can use in the program itself to organize your music. You can use it to filter to specific bpm ranges and multiple key values, even at the same time along with other filters that I personally don't have a use for. You can also drag and drop music files from the program into Traktor to quickly bang out filtered playlists.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast