Your DAW of choice 2017
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Tech Mentor

Default Your DAW of choice 2017

I'm wondering what DAWs producing these days for electronic music production (edm, dance, DnB, higher BPM genres).

I'm looking to get back into producing and want to commit to a DAW first and some of them are quite expensive so I need to get it right.

I'd be interested to hear other producers experience.

Logic Pro X - I've come from Logic having used it in the past. After trying a 'demo' of the latest version i've found the UI to be incredibly sluggish.. simple things like increasing window sizes have lag, pressing buttons doesn't appear to be instant and playing with Alchemy is hella slow. It seems to be just the UI as I can load a project with lots of channels, plugins, audio, and it'll play through fine with ok CPU usage.

Cubase - I received the LE version with an audio interface. Overall I found it is probably one of the more complicated DAWs and will have a steeper learning curve. The interface didn't look very good on retina display, lots of low res icons still in there.

Bitwig - Having messed around with the demo I feel really good about this DAW. It's fast and has a really obvious and clear workflow. It sounds and looks great. However the reviews and forum posts online don't paint a very nice picture.. It is supposedly filled with bugs and devs don't seem to deliver on feature promises. To make matters worse they are changing their licensing scheme and it will end up being one of the more expensive investments over time.

Studio ONE 3 - I'm yet to properly look into this DAW but initial impression seems to be that it is better suited for mixing, mastering and recording where as dedicated electronic music production. I'll try the demo soon.

Ableton Live - Simiar to Bitwig has a nice simple workflow and amazing editing capabilities. The interface could be a little nicer in areas but this one is definitely in the running. I'm seeing lots of complaints about constant crashes though.

FL Studio - I used this in the early days when it was referred to as the 'kiddy DAW' - It has come on lots but would require me to install Windows as the Mac version is still in beta.

Have I missed anything out? What are you using? Have you switched from any DAWs and why? Are there any you would NOT recommend?

Thank to anyone who reads this long post

Well, there's also ProTools.

I use Live for arrangement and mix in Studio One. Studio One has taken some steps with the last release(s) to become more electronic music producer-friendly. I prefer arranging in Live perhaps because of familiarity, but the warping, sampling abilities and ease of use modifying audio. Mixing in Live for me is a bit of a pain and Studio One really does shine in this regard. The workflow of mixing in S1 is fantastic.
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

One thing no other DAW can do besides FL Studio is great visualization for the track you made

With the ZGameEditor Visualizer Plugin provided in FL Studio you can even do live performances!!

However, I am using Ableton Live now but used FL Studio for more than 10 years before.
    I am still using FL Studio within Ableton as a plugin from time to time though.
    Works perfectly and it is a smooth integration!

Here it is explained how this works:

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Solid View Post
    One thing no other DAW can do besides FL Studio is great visualization for the track you made

With the ZGameEditor Visualizer Plugin provided in FL Studio you can even do live performances!!

However, I am using Ableton Live now but used FL Studio for more than 10 years before.
    I am still using FL Studio within Ableton as a plugin from time to time though.
    Works perfectly and it is a smooth integration!

Here it is explained how this works:

Pretty cool, not sure how much i'd use the video stuff but the Ableton FL integration is sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by goodbytes View Post
    Pretty cool, not sure how much i'd use the video stuff but the Ableton FL integration is sweet.
    Thank you for the nice feedback!

Tech Mentor

After trying most of them it was a toss up between Ableton and Bitwig.

I managed to find pretty much £100 discount on BW so I went for that. Much cheaper than Ableton.

Tech Convert

Let us know how you like Bitwig so far, as an Ableton user its something I've really been itching to try out but haven't really made the time for.

I would like to note in regards to a post about FL studio's video capabilities, that Ableton can in fact be used to edit video files. Not that I've personally used it or recommend it just saying it IS possible

live

Tech Mentor

Quote Originally Posted by JR307 View Post
    Let us know how you like Bitwig so far, as an Ableton user its something I've really been itching to try out but haven't really made the time for.

I would like to note in regards to a post about FL studio's video capabilities, that Ableton can in fact be used to edit video files. Not that I've personally used it or recommend it just saying it IS possible
    I really love it, I tried them all and the workflow was by far the fastest (for me). The basics are learned in minutes and it sounds great with very little effort.

It can be picked up really cheap off a polish eBay style site: http://allegro.pl/bitwig-studio-opro...708790205.html 729 'polish money' is around £150/$180. Bargain.

I just contacted them and asked if I could buy the key. They sent me a PayPal invoice, after payment I received an email with a photo of the box. Used the key and downloaded off Bitwig site

Quote Originally Posted by kwal
    live
    Live + Zomo MC-1000.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast