Feedback needed About fire a DJ / Being fired as DJ

Default Feedback needed About fire a DJ / Being fired as DJ

Hello everybody,

I have a situation I would love to have your thoughts about it.
    I have a residency in a small Bar. (120 people attendance)
    I started there 3 years ago and really fast the boss wanted me to be there every Saturday, which I told him would be impossible, so I built up a 4 people DJ Team.
    1 year ago one of those DJs left the team for family reason (he turned Daddy and wanted to focus more on bigger events and being home the rest oft he time). So there were 3 left.
    The only Woman in the Team made the 1st Saturday of each month (her wish).
    I am the one making the Bookings (well that sets up the Dj plan on a 1/2year basis).
    I collect each Dj’s dates, put them in the calendar, try to make everyone happy. Most oft he time I set the others and take what is left.

Now, from my point of view, We started having problems with da Girl.
    I started making the DJ-Plan for Jan-Mai in October.

Asked her if it’s OK for her to make every first Saturday again like in the past (except 1st of April ‚cause we will make a „April’s Fool Party“ and she isn’t the Topic-Party kinda DJ). So she agreed with that and I knew I could set her on every 1st Saturday. (Except April were I would set her up the 8th as communicated).
    I should mention that I am not paid to make the booking, it‘0s good will because the manager is now a good friend and I like to do it (well liked it as far).
    Now came that the Lady did play silly and decided to go on holidays in January exactly when she had to be playing at the bar. I saw this on her Facebook Account and asked the Manager if he heard from her that she will not be there January the 7th.
    He said that she told him that and that she switched with the third guy, but that he told her to say it to me as I am making the Booking.
    She never lost one word to me. So I called the third one to check which dates they switched and he told me that he told her, that he can’t do this date as he is already booked at another place.
    As I asked her she still pretended that she switched with him (don’t ask me why, he recorded their discussion and I could hear him telling her NO).
    When I asked her why she didn’t tell me she sent a printscreen of an Email she obviously sent to me and I never got, in which she informed me that she will be on holydays then.
    I Expect from a professional DJ, that if she/he doesn’t get a feedback to her/his Email, that she/he does contact me more directly than over Email (Phone for example)…Am I so wrong with my expectations???
    Second problem I/weh ad with her:
    Surfing on Facebook I literally fell over one of her posts with the dates for GLBT Events she will Mix at. I saw the Date oft he 8th of April (Remember: The date that will be her first Saturday in April instead oft he 1st). I commented with „Is this the Gig in the Bar??? I didn’t know we make a GLBT-Events at the bar“ (Not that we have any problems with this community but our bar is open for everyone). Her Answer was: „No, the 1st of April ist he first Staurday in April so I will be at the Bar the 1st“.
    My Answer was short and unemotional: „Do you read the DJ-Plan I send???“
    She started getting gross and telling me I shouldn’t be so aggressive, instead of realising she made an error she started being upset.
    Motivated by other things that bothered me already thru the last 1 1/2years (She is using inaudible Mp3s, she turns off the Sound at 2pm when the Bar is crowded even after being told to hold the party as long as possible,etc…) I decided, after a call and synchronisation with the Manager, to fire her. He told me she wouldn’t be a big loss fort he bar as she is the one being the less involved in the bar and that she mostly just is offering a minimal service. (Showing up 10min before Gig, not really trying to get the people in Party mood, Playing songs with no line in the set jumping around from Style to style, playing bad quality tracks etc…).

So as she wanted to have a call with me, I fired her Friday night.

So now I would like to know what you guys think about this Situation.
    Was I wrong?
    Should I have been more patient?
    Did you have similar experiences as you had to fire someone or maybe have you been fired (was on that side myself but always was a bad for a good)?
    Wondering what you guys think…Thanx in advance.

It just feels like she's taking it less seriously than you are - that's fine. You were upset with her, and you dealt with it.

All is fine.

But, in the future, I wouldn't do anything via Facebook. Comments on photos are certainly not a place to do business! best to always go with a combination of e-mails and phone calls. One to support the other (either call first and follow up with an e-mail, noting any agreements made, or send an e-mail, and follow up with a phone call to clarify).

Don't leave ANYTHING To chance. Always get clarification of everything.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    It just feels like she's taking it less seriously than you are - that's fine. You were upset with her, and you dealt with it.

All is fine.

But, in the future, I wouldn't do anything via Facebook. Comments on photos are certainly not a place to do business! best to always go with a combination of e-mails and phone calls. One to support the other (either call first and follow up with an e-mail, noting any agreements made, or send an e-mail, and follow up with a phone call to clarify).

Don't leave ANYTHING To chance. Always get clarification of everything.
    The only Thing I made over Facebook was asking if she meant the Gig at the Bar on her List of GLBT-Events.

I always work with Email & Phone.

But thanx for your advice

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Nawlins View Post
    The only Thing I made over Facebook was asking if she meant the Gig at the Bar on her List of GLBT-Events.
    That strikes me as being passive aggressive. It also seems to deviate from your normal line of communication in email or calling on the phone. In that scenario, I personally would have mentioned the conflicting dates via email or phone call directly. I feel it's less likely that someone would get upset if you asked them directly over passively mentioning it on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by overcast View Post
    That strikes me as being passive aggressive. It also seems to deviate from your normal line of communication in email or calling on the phone. In that scenario, I personally would have mentioned the conflicting dates via email or phone call directly. I feel it's less likely that someone would get upset if you asked them directly over passively mentioning it on Facebook.
    See, I thought it would be less formal and so wouldn't been taken as seriously.

One never can make it right

I don't know what the employment laws are like in Switzerland, but you might want to check.

There are usually rules around hiring and firing which if not done properly can get you into trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyJ View Post
    I don't know what the employment laws are like in Switzerland, but you might want to check.

There are usually rules around hiring and firing which if not done properly can get you into trouble.
    Not sure if it matters but in the US if its a "gig", "Contractor", and not employment as an employee you can basically get let go anytime for almost any reason as long as its not discrimination. Im sure its totally different elsewhere in the world. But also in the land of music, djs, and bars, the law of the land is somewhat behind the scenes and grey....