Beat gridding?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Beat gridding?

Default Beat gridding?

Ok guys - I know that this subject has been discussed alot and I have also seen the video about it that Ian made. Numerous times. But there is something that raelly bugs me.

When I beat grid a track, I set the grid markers and then I adjust the BPM (move beat grid left or right) so the markers align with the beats.
    Then I scroll further in the track, and when the grid drifts, I adjust the BPM up or down. And then here is the problem: When I scroll back to the begining of the track, the beatgrids are (of course) not aligned any more. When I align them with the beats, they go out of alignement in the other end of the track. And so on...

What am I doing wrong? In my head it makes sence that adjusting one end also adjusts the other end, and I cant figure out how to align all the way through the track.

Any help appriciated

Retired DJTT Moderator DvlsAdvct's Avatar

Are you moving the GRID or adjusting the tempo? It sounds like you're just moving the grid. There are two sets of buttons. One makes the tempo change and the other just moves the location of the grid.

When you hold that button does the tempo in the box change?
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

My Mixes, Mashups and Rants

Divided we stand
    United we fall

One thing that you may want to try, which is something I have to do on some song with long middle atmospheric parts (thus losing the tempo). Is when the grid gets a little to off. Switch to vinyl mode, then lay down another grid at the first bass beat where the previous grid got messed up.

Just remember that you have 2 grids. A quick temp sync can make the song keep going very smothly. Hopefully that all makes since.
    SyblingQ - Electro House for dark alleys.

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    Are you moving the GRID or adjusting the tempo? It sounds like you're just moving the grid. There are two sets of buttons. One makes the tempo change and the other just moves the location of the grid.

When you hold that button does the tempo in the box change?
    Well, in the Preferences -> Hotkey Setup -> Hotkey Page they are called Track BPM Increment and Decrement. And yes, when I keep them pushed down, the BPM changes.

So I need hotkeys to move the grid? What are they called in the Hotkey Page?

No, you don't need hotkeys to move the grid. The weird thing is that the beatgrids shouldn't move, no matter what you do with the tempo... They don't for me, at least.

Instead of using the hotkeys can you try using it in the BPM window instead? It could be an issue with your hotkey mapping.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Ok, I dont get it! I should be very easy right? I do Like Ean explains in the video and has my hotkeys set up like he sugests.
    Is it supposed to be like this: When bpm is ajusted in the begining of a track - and the grid moves to a kick/snare - the grid should match all the way through a track? Well it dosent for me...

I can't load Ean's vid cause I'm at work and for some reason IT thinks that if I can have access to youtube I'll work less... which is, of course absurd.

Regardless, this is pretty much what you should do to test my theory.

In your display window (above the decks where you can choose all the different pages) make sure you are looking at the BPM and the Cue Points windows.

On the track, in any mode (Snap/Vinyl/CD) drop a cue point on a beat (kick, snare, etc.). Not a grid or anything special, but a Cue point. Do not lock it. The Cue Window should say that Cue 1 is selected, but not locked. There is a drop down menue where you can select different types of Cues (Load, Out, Grid, Cue). Select Grid. When you drop that beat grid the lines should all drop with whatever the BPM is listed as in the BPM window.

Go through a fine tune it in the BPM window (using the arrows, not hotkeys).

Does this work? Granted I'm trying this blind (no Traktor in front of me) but all I can think of is that you aren't dropping Grids you're dropping Cue Points of some other sort and when the BPM changes they move. That's weird cause when I drop cues and move the BPM the cue points stay where they are... and I have to reset them.

The only time this changes is when I am moving the entire Grid, not changing BPMs. And the only thing that is different is it will ONLY move the Beatgrid markers, not regular Cue Points. Not sure if that's how it's supposed to work, but that's how it works for me, as far as I can remember.
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Ok I am working on it

You say that I should use the arrows in the bpm window instead of the hotkeys. Ok I am trying that. But in this window there are two sets of arrows. The top set In the bpm window, moves the grid, but not the bpm. The bottom set of arrows moves the grid (slightly) and changes the bpm. I guess you are reffering to the top set?

Quote Originally Posted by DvlsAdvct View Post
    I can't load Ean's vid cause I'm at work and for some reason IT thinks that if I can have access to youtube I'll work less... which is, of course absurd.

install firefox.... i do that here at work and it by-passes the security settings for sites we cant visit.. ex. youtube

Quote Originally Posted by Flaekiface View Post
    Ok I am working on it

You say that I should use the arrows in the bpm window instead of the hotkeys. Ok I am trying that. But in this window there are two sets of arrows. The top set In the bpm window, moves the grid, but not the bpm. The bottom set of arrows moves the grid (slightly) and changes the bpm. I guess you are reffering to the top set?
    Okay, you don't want to move the location of the grid (move the grid WITHOUT moving the BPM) unless your beatgrid marker is wrong. All this will do is move THE ENTIRE GRID and therefore will do you absolutely no good in accurately laying down your grid. If, after you have set the BPM correctly and all the grids are just slightly off then try moving it.

You want to use the arrows that change the BPM. Make sure your grid marker is set accurately and then slowly change the BPM so the grid lines move. They should not ALL move. The lines at the end of the track will move faster than the ones at the beginning. You're best off moving from the beginning toward the end of the track as you fine tune the grid.

Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky_Laws View Post
    install firefox.... i do that here at work and it by-passes the security settings for sites we cant visit.. ex. youtube
    I don't have permission to install anything at work. And watching Youtube isn't worth possibly getting fired :-) Job pays too well
    It's the FAQ. Read it.

Divided we stand
    United we fall

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast