HELP!! problem with distortion of sound / static noise or something else

Default HELP!! problem with distortion of sound / static noise or something else

Hello DJ friends,

I use two Behringer Eurolive B115 D Active 2-way 15" speaker system connected to a MOTU Microbook II sound driver, connected to an HP Laptop using Ableton Live.

I have done at least 40 gigs with no problem with a very reliable setup.

Yet in two weeks Quinceanera (Sweet Sixteen) party, I start getting like what I thought it was one speaker failing. It was distorting a frequency in the songs and sounded like it was chocking. It might have been static or something was making terrible noise. I was sweating profusely and it was the first time in my 4 years DJing (this is like my midlife crisis dream)... and did NOT ENJOYED DJing as I was having technical issues.

I was ready to go and buy some EV speakers.. but then went to my garage and tried to recreate the issue. I don't think it is the speakers. There are some songs that are having the issue, and it is mostly the ones in lower RPM's. I am wondering if my MOTU card is failing .. because I realized it is BOTH speakers... so it should not be a cable... I am inclining for the sound card, but then ALL songs should be failing and not only some of them.

HELP!!!

I assume you are watching your gain staging so there is virtually no clipping in the master bus or on your Microbook II?

What warping mode are you using and what is your sample rate when playing? Also is High quality mode turned on in your sample rate preferences?

I warp in Complex - I have HIQ and FADE in Yellow. I also saw that in preference AUDIO I had the in/out sample rate at 88.2 KHz and the output buffer size was very high (in the 2k)

Could that be it?? The only thing I did differently was installing a new antivirus... but I have a hard time believing that it could be that.

Quote Originally Posted by pacific808 View Post
    I assume you are watching your gain staging so there is virtually no clipping in the master bus or on your Microbook II?

What warping mode are you using and what is your sample rate when playing? Also is High quality mode turned on in your sample rate preferences?

Hmmmmm... What is your CPU meter at when you are playing?

What you could try doing is see if you can load a set and record it to a separate track. Just set the track input to master and turn off track activator so it doesn't feed back. When you hear the problem occur while recording, stop and export the recording. If you can hear the issue in the recording even when playing it back on another computer your problem is software based. If the recording sounds clean on another device then you will need to start figuring what piece of hardware is causing the issue.

I have a simular problem with my macbook pro and my scratch A6. i'll be playing at different durations of time and then it seems like some random tune doesn't matter what bitrate its at,will trigger my audio to slowly deteriorate in sound quality become distorted to where its unplayable.what i figured out in terms of a quick fix was to just switch my sample rate from 44100.0 Hz to 48000.0 Hz & that worked unless i was recording.what i learned was that if your in the middle of recording a mix and you switch your sample rate from one to the other your mix will be noticeably a lot slower than what your bpm was when you where recording. Anyways i feel your pain and i still battle with this issue. Any knowledge on this would be very helpful. good luck & thanks