Spotify Pro for DJ's - Votes Required for consideration.
    From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Default Spotify Pro for DJ's - Votes Required for consideration.

It's been shot down due to lack of Votes on their forums before.

But seeing as now both DJay and VDJ are both now integrating Spotify is it not about time that a "Pro" Dj Spotify subscription should be added to make DJ'ing from Spotify completely legal to DJ with as with Pulselocker ?

The Suggestion is here:https://community.spotify.com/t5/Liv.../idi-p/1445485

Up-votes are needed - I'm sure theres gotta be more than a few peeps in here that already have Spotify accounts.

Tech Mentor

I don't think we'll EVER see a "Spotify Pro/DJ' for several reasons - and this is something I'm not personally interested in myself. I like having the files locally in my library and the guarantee that there will be proper playback. The last thing I need in the club is to worry about getting service to stream records from Spotify
    Jackal Jyve // New York City // @JackalJyve // www.JackalJyve.com

Quote Originally Posted by JackalJyve View Post
    I don't think we'll EVER see a "Spotify Pro/DJ' for several reasons - and this is something I'm not personally interested in myself. I like having the files locally in my library and the guarantee that there will be proper playback. The last thing I need in the club is to worry about getting service to stream records from Spotify
    Might not be publicized, but so long as you have pre-loaded the song once before into DJay app previously its cached, you just need the internet to "phone home" in order to play them - although long term offline playback should be implemented

Its the public performance license thats the big issue though. The Spotify platform works absolutely great and crate digging is miles ahead of the competition due to the larger use base you get far more relevant "matched" results from a broader spectrum of folks - not just DJ's.

Who enforces this public performance license?

And do you need one if you're playing tracks on Traktor that you have on your hard drive?

I've never even thought about it. I just book gigs and play.

Sometimes I go back and forth from Traktor to Djay Pro with Spotify.

Quote Originally Posted by JackalJyve View Post
    If you are playing open format, Spotify is a game changer. Why would I bother purchasing Starboy and taking up hard drive space when I'm only going to play it for 6 weeks then it's no longer requested. Plus if you do get requests, you have millions of songs at your fingertips.

Quote Originally Posted by loverocket View Post

And do you need one if you're playing tracks on Traktor that you have on your hard drive?

I've never even thought about it. I just book gigs and play.

Yes. The licensing should be held by the venue or business owner. Look into BMI, ASCAP, and SESAC requirements. Licensing is not required for "private events."

Also check your municipality regulations.

For example, in Vegas cops were busting small events in 2011-2012 using the excuse that DJ's required a Mobile DJ License. Turns out the license was only needed if you grossed more than $27,800 from deejaying.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Would be nice not to need to just be able to use one service though, legally - and there appears to be very little that is not available on Spotify these days at the same time (sometimes sooner) than Beatport/Juno.

Quote Originally Posted by the_bastet View Post
    Yes. The licensing should be held by the venue or business owner. Look into BMI, ASCAP, and SESAC requirements. Licensing is not required for "private events."
    Private events are defined as friends or families type gigs though, weddings are not included in this scenario, and any gig you get paid for is public by definition, even if its being held in a farmers barn.

It'd also be irrelevant, when the party you are "renting" the music from holds no performance rights. Spotify could I suppose decide to either, ban your account, sue you, or simply let the labels tie you up legally for years if it became an issue for them.

Most probably be one of the local music rights organizations who would highlight it - and yes they do turn up out of the blue.

Depends on the Country or Region who will enforce it and whether is is actually wholly "illegal" - however Spotify themselves have stated that its against user agreements in their T&C and can result in a Ban.

Some countries have even gone so far as asking DJ's for receipts for the music they are going to play and busting DJ's and venues mid set.

Yep, you could get away with using Spotify based on local mechanical licensing laws, but regardless you'll still be breaking your EULA with Spotify by doing so as they do not have the necessary agreements in place with labels (however, playing tracks from iTunes or Amazon is no different).

If you are playing open format, Spotify is a game changer. Why would I bother purchasing Starboy and taking up hard drive space when I'm only going to play it for 6 weeks then it's no longer requested. Plus if you do get requests, you have millions of songs at your fingertips.
    Absolutely, even with other styles these days, you cannot get away with amending your set by 2 or 3 tracks a week anymore - music moves in and out of crates faster than any other time in history.

Spotify DO have a business / Commercial license similar to Pulselocker which allows for public performance, but its only applicable in Sweden currently - that what needs to change, make it global and make public performance for DJ's legal so their isn't any awkward questions about where the music is coming from.
    Last edited by deevey; 04-16-2017 at 01:47 AM.