Record Cleaner Machines and Fluids.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Record Cleaner Machines and Fluids.

Recently I have upped my intake of vinyl. I have begun to buy alot of older classic trance/house records that are not available digital format. I also have begun to buy alot of older music in general on vinyl. (beatles, stones, motown)

Does anyone own a record cleaner? I have begun to look at investing in one. Found this review http://thevinylfactory.com/features/...l-connossieur/

As for record cleaning fluids I found this http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/fluids.html
    It gets referenced on various sites as all being safe and non toxic.

Does anyone have any experience or suggestions?
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Tech Mentor

I've got a Loricraft PRC4 and use L'art du Son liquid.

Works very well - I bought up a friends collection that had been poorly stored for many years and it does a great job of getting rid of all the old dust and grime. Not cheap, but whwn you have as much vinyl as I do it a good investment.

I got a cheapo "machine" that holds the liquid and you spin a contraption that spins the record in it.

I also bought some Super Record Wash by Mobile Fidelity.

It's seems to work decent. I haven't done it on too many records, but it seems to have worked pretty well on the ones I have.

Also Gruv Glide.
    2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

Quote Originally Posted by ImNotDedYet View Post
    I got a cheapo "machine" that holds the liquid and you spin a contraption that spins the record in it.

I also bought some Super Record Wash by Mobile Fidelity.

It's seems to work decent. I haven't done it on too many records, but it seems to have worked pretty well on the ones I have.

Also Gruv Glide.
    like this? https://www.amazon.com/SPIN-CLEAN-ST.../dp/B002UKSZUU

I've read that cheap old lighter fluid is good as any bought record cleaner.

I've only ever used a duster and a microfibre cloth myself...
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

I had the obligatory 1:1 isopropyl alcohol and water mixture for years. Some of these older records need a deeper cleaning.

I can see the addition of a detergent to break the surface tension of the water to make it "wetter".

I use good ole isopropyl and water with a record brush. Then a sewing needle and exacto knife for groove repair.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

2 x Technics 1210 MKII, Pioneer-DJM 900 Nexus, Traktor Scratch Pro, NI F1,
    Ableton Live 9.6 Suite, Ableton Push, Studio One 3, Moog Sub37, Roland Alpha Juno 2, Korg MS-20 Mini, Yamaha TG-77, TR-8, Rhodes MKI Stage, Wurlitzer 200a, couple pedals, couple amps, lots of software and a freakin iPad

PVA glue

I have a Spin Clean and it works well in general. The hardest part is finding time to do it and finding space to let the records dry.

For about $50-60 total investment I also bought a shop vac and one of those vacuum attachments made specifically for cleaning records (like this https://www.ebay.com/p/Mk1-Record-Cl...VAC/1961815307 though mine is different). It does a great job of deep cleaning and given all the time in the world I would clean every record first with the Spin Clean and then with the vacuum. I think it winds up being comparable to a lot of those fancy cleaners which functionally use the same technology.

If you really want to invest some money look into ultrasonic cleaning, which is widely claimed to be the absolute best way to go but will easily cost you upwards of $1000 for a decent setup. I've read you can jury rig an ultrasonic device using parts bought from Poland on ebay for about $500 but it requires a lot more DIY. Personally I'm ok with my spin clean and vacuum; I really don't own any vinyl worth enough money to justify spending more than I already have. And again the biggest issue is time -- 99% of the time when I have a dirty record it gets the Groovy Record Cleaner spray treatment and a microfiber cloth wipedown and then it hits the decks.
    "Art is what you can get away with." - Marshall McLuhan

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast