Cheap PA speakers - Gemini HPS vs Kustom KPX/KPC

Default Cheap PA speakers - Gemini HPS vs Kustom KPX/KPC

Hello new friends!

Looking for a quick and cheap speaker setup for a small house party I'm going to help out with (backyard/basement setup). I previously used to use some Samsung tower speakers (that were surprisingly loud), but I think the owner wants something a little louder this time for his party (and looks more party-ish).

BUDGET is the key word here, so I picked out some items at Musicians Friend that are on sale, and I was looking for feedback on if you've run these before:

- Kustom KPC12P pair or
    - Kustom KPX112P pair
    - Plus a Kustom PA112S single sub

* OR *

- Gemini HPS-12P pair or
    - Gemini HPS-15P pair

The appeal with the Gemini's is they both advertise down to 30 hz, so I'd forego a sub if purchasing this route. Also, I assume the 15" would be better at producing the lower freq's, although possibly not being as tight. Not sure how accurate these specs really are, and at the same time I know these aren't going to blow the house away nor provide heart-murmuring bass, but it's just a budget setup for a house party.

So if you've used either of these budget speakers before, please let me know your opinion?

PS - My personal home setup (just a fun hobby really) is a DDJ-SZ mated to a pair of LSR305's.

Thanks!

rent a decent pair of speakers...cheaper and nicer to your ears...
    Last edited by ragverp; 05-30-2017 at 01:28 AM.
    Allen & Heath DB4, Xone K2, 2x Native instrument D2
    Soundcloud
    Mixcloud

Haha thanks for the recommendation.

Looking at them again, I think we might go with the HPS-15P. It gives an extra bit of simple connectivity (the RCA inputs) in addition to the XLR. The Kustom only has XLR and 1/4", and even with a 1/4" to 3.5mm or RCA adapter, it's just easier. Will also give a gamble on the 30 Hz...

We'll buy one and see how it sounds before buying a second, if necessary.

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by viper98912 View Post
    Haha thanks for the recommendation.

Looking at them again, I think we might go with the HPS-15P. It gives an extra bit of simple connectivity (the RCA inputs) in addition to the XLR. The Kustom only has XLR and 1/4", and even with a 1/4" to 3.5mm or RCA adapter, it's just easier. Will also give a gamble on the 30 Hz...

We'll buy one and see how it sounds before buying a second, if necessary.
    Rent. Those speakers are garbage and are not worth owning.

The wattage specs are lies, they have cheap power amps that will blow at the worst possible time.

There is no such thing as good, cheap PA speakers. This is why the PA rental market exists.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

30hz -

The cheapest speakers I would consider would be either the Behringer B115D ($299ea) or Mackie Thump ($299ea)

Anything less than that and you'll need to spend an extra $100 (min) on an EQ to make them sound "acceptable" and factor in the probability of replacing them after one or two parties and/or gas money on returning them.

The Behringer's come with a 3 yr warranty
    Last edited by deevey; 05-30-2017 at 09:18 PM.

I am in the market for a smaller PA set up also. Cheap, but not cheap sounding is my goal. Plus I don't want to have to get a subwoofer (yet).

I used to rent a set of EV 15s from a friends for a hundred bucks for the weekend with all cables and stands.
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by keithace View Post
    I am in the market for a smaller PA set up also. Cheap, but not cheap sounding is my goal. Plus I don't want to have to get a subwoofer (yet).

I used to rent a set of EV 15s from a friends for a hundred bucks for the weekend with all cables and stands.
    Secondhand RCFs or EVs is the way to go. If you keep your eyes on the secondhand market youll find a bargain eventually.

Buying new, there is no such thing as cheap and good.

Quote Originally Posted by viper98912 View Post
    Looking at them again, I think we might go with the HPS-15P. It gives an extra bit of simple connectivity (the RCA inputs)
    This is not a feature you need, if you RCA straight from controller to speaker, you will have unbalanced audio which is far less than ideal.

also +1 for mackie thumps and EVs

Hello everyone,

Thanks again for the suggestions. Regarding the RCA connection from controller, my connection from the DDJ-SZ (if I took it) would be via XLR. I was just thinking of downstream (later) when he's running just anything (Ipod, etc), a 3.5 mini jack to RCA is a lot more common to source than a 1/4".

Also, it appears the sale at MF is now over, so things are back to full price . Which definitely means we won't be buying these at full price

I received a recommendation of a used/re-sale shop from a friend who plays in a band, so I might go check them out and see what they have.

Quote Originally Posted by ImNoDJ View Post
    Secondhand RCFs or EVs is the way to go. If you keep your eyes on the secondhand market youll find a bargain eventually.

Buying new, there is no such thing as cheap and good.
    cheap is also a relative term. I would like to spend 750 instead of a thousand. Not 200 bucks.
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal