Roland DJ-808 RekordBox Mapping
    Tech Student

Default Roland DJ-808 RekordBox Mapping

I INTRODUCE YOU TO REKORDBOX MAPPING FOR THE LEGENDARY CONTROLLER THAT IS DJ-808.

Set-up Instructions

Requirements: a Mac, Rekordbox DJ, Bome MIDI Translator Pro.
    Trial versions available*

1. Open Audio MIDI Setup application on Mac.
    2. Choose Window - MIDI Studio.
    3. Rename IAC Driver Device to PIONEER DDJ-SR.
    4. Clear the IAC bus name so there would be one bus with it's name blank.
    5. Check "Device is online".
    6. Open Rekordbox.
    7. Import PIONEER DDJ-SR.csv from Rekordbox's MIDI window to Pioneer DDJ-SR device.
    8. Open the DJ-808.bmtp file with bome.
    9. Open Bome Midi Translator - Preferences - Virtual MIDI Ports and adjust the settings (number of virtual ports:1; short port names)
    10. Import DJ-808.csv from Rekordbox's MIDI window to Bome Virtual device (named BMT).

To set up the audio device

1. Select DJ-808 from Preferences.
    2. Set Mixer Mode to Internal.
    3. Set Headphones to output 9 and 10
    4. Booth and Master to 11 and 12.
    5. Close the settings window
    6. Select show Mixer from the top row.
    7. Just next to the crossfader on screen, you will see mixing and level knobs. Turn the mixing knob all the way to the left and the level knob all the way to the right. Now you can monitor properly with your headphones. Use the hardware knobs on your DJ-808 to adjust headphone volume and mixing.
    8. Adjust overall volume from Sound prefpane to around 1/7th.

Step 7 has to be done every time you start up Rekordbox.

Mapping progress.

Rekordbox DVS: ✓
    Browser section: ✓
    Others(FxPanel&SamplerPanel): ✓
    Deck section: ✓
    Jog Wheels: ✓
    Indicators (VU meters & Play State): ✓
    Mixer: ✓
    Effects: ✓

Performance: 50%
    LED: 50%

Everything is mapped logically! However, one of the new and hidden features is long press fx tap beat for auto bpm SamplerTapBpm and Master(Sampler) is mapped the same way. (I forgot to translate the feedback for those.) Also, shift + rotary browse is wave zoom. Shift + Fx rotary selects the release effect. Fx rotary press turns on the release fx. Shift+Cue jumps to track start. Shift + Jog scratch track search is awesome.
    I made shift modifiers for filter knobs that activate/deactivate 4 of rekordbox filters(jet, space, crush, filter). Center and left position turn off the filter; holding down shift and turning a filter knob to the right turns on the filter.

My work here shows that less complex controllers can be easily mapped up to 100% with all Pioneer Hardware exclusive features. As long as you have a Mac... There is a windows alternative, Bome MIDI Translator Classic that can do a few things the Mac version does but in the case of this controller, it would not work.

Next on the to-do list: Mapping the pads and translating the coloured feedback. Some of the feedback for pads is mapped, however the colors are not quite right and the input needs to be converted which I haven't had time to do yet.

My trial of rekordbox ended, that's why I'll be inactive for a while.
    If you like my work and/or have a disposable license of rekordbox laying around feel free to donate me

DOWNLOAD
    latest version:v3, updated 26 sept.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by JHeartyP; 09-25-2017 at 05:55 PM.

Tech Student

Default New Version Out

Hi! A new version is out I fixed a ton of bugs, found new clues and overall things work quite well now! I still haven't figured out how to map the filter buttons or if they're even mappable. I made shift modifiers for filter knobs that activate/deactivate 4 of rekordbox filters(jet, space, crush, filter). Center and left position turn off the filter; holding down shift and turning a filter knob to the right turns on the filter. Also I think the drum machine output needs to be somehow routed in software. I used an application by rogueamoeba called Loopback to route the standalone drum machine output to master. There is no way to cue however.
    DDJ-SZ jog works in a much more similar way to the DJ-808 but the vu meters stop working. DDJ-SR has different jog action, however the vu meters work in this case but are lower resolution. DDJ-RX/SR/SR2 has higher definition vu meters but the jogs work awkwardly (the track is pretty much uncontrollably flying around). That's why DDJ-SR is the best choice for emulation as of the moment. I had 0 luck translating the 808 jog output to RX or SX.

If you like my work and/or have a disposable license of rekordbox laying around feel free to donate me
    Last edited by JHeartyP; 09-27-2017 at 02:44 PM.

@JHeartyP
    We're in the same boat bro!
    I'm trying to map the DJ-808 to Traktor: Any advice is welcome!
    Can you take a look at my topic here? http://forum.djtechtools.com/showthread.php?t=94472
    Current DJ Gear: Kontrol S8 | Denon DN-SC2000 | V-Moda XS / Logitech Z5500
    Past:
    Numark 4TRAK / Kontrol X1 + Z1 + F1 / Novation Twitch / Denon MC3000
    Reloop Jockey 3 Remix / M-Audio Xponent / V-Moda Crossfade LP

Default Jogwheels

Quote Originally Posted by JHeartyP View Post
    I INTRODUCE YOU TO REKORDBOX MAPPING FOR THE LEGENDARY CONTROLLER THAT IS DJ-808.

Set-up Instructions

Requirements: a Mac, Rekordbox DJ, Bome MIDI Translator Pro.
    Trial versions available*

1. Open Audio MIDI Setup application on Mac.
    2. Choose Window - MIDI Studio.
    3. Rename IAC Driver Device to PIONEER DDJ-SR.
    4. Clear the IAC bus name so there would be one bus with it's name blank.
    5. Check "Device is online".
    6. Open Rekordbox.
    7. Import PIONEER DDJ-SR.csv from Rekordbox's MIDI window to Pioneer DDJ-SR device.
    8. Open the DJ-808.bmtp file with bome.
    9. Open Bome Midi Translator - Preferences - Virtual MIDI Ports and adjust the settings (number of virtual ports:1; short port names)
    10. Import DJ-808.csv from Rekordbox's MIDI window to Bome Virtual device (named BMT).

To set up the audio device

1. Select DJ-808 from Preferences.
    2. Set Mixer Mode to Internal.
    3. Set Headphones to output 9 and 10
    4. Booth and Master to 11 and 12.
    5. Close the settings window
    6. Select show Mixer from the top row.
    7. Just next to the crossfader on screen, you will see mixing and level knobs. Turn the mixing knob all the way to the left and the level knob all the way to the right. Now you can monitor properly with your headphones. Use the hardware knobs on your DJ-808 to adjust headphone volume and mixing.
    8. Adjust overall volume from Sound prefpane to around 1/7th.

Step 7 has to be done every time you start up Rekordbox.

Mapping progress.

Rekordbox DVS: ✓
    Browser section: ✓
    Others(FxPanel&SamplerPanel): ✓
    Deck section: ✓
    Jog Wheels: ✓
    Indicators (VU meters & Play State): ✓
    Mixer: ✓
    Effects: ✓

Performance: 50%
    LED: 50%

Everything is mapped logically! However, one of the new and hidden features is long press fx tap beat for auto bpm SamplerTapBpm and Master(Sampler) is mapped the same way. (I forgot to translate the feedback for those.) Also, shift + rotary browse is wave zoom. Shift + Fx rotary selects the release effect. Fx rotary press turns on the release fx. Shift+Cue jumps to track start. Shift + Jog scratch track search is awesome.
    I made shift modifiers for filter knobs that activate/deactivate 4 of rekordbox filters(jet, space, crush, filter). Center and left position turn off the filter; holding down shift and turning a filter knob to the right turns on the filter.

My work here shows that less complex controllers can be easily mapped up to 100% with all Pioneer Hardware exclusive features. As long as you have a Mac... There is a windows alternative, Bome MIDI Translator Classic that can do a few things the Mac version does but in the case of this controller, it would not work.

Next on the to-do list: Mapping the pads and translating the coloured feedback. Some of the feedback for pads is mapped, however the colors are not quite right and the input needs to be converted which I haven't had time to do yet.

DOWNLOAD
    latest version:v3, updated 26 sept.
    Hey man, how are you?

I made the step-by-step but the jogwheels do not work, any sugestion?

Question Jog Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by jfurlan View Post
    Hey man, how are you?

I made the step-by-step but the jogwheels do not work, any sugestion?
    Hi,
    Were you able to solve the jog wheel problem?.

Default Roland DJ 808

Where i can Download recordbox Mapping or Traktor Mapping ? Thanks