Recording with Xone 92

Default Recording with Xone 92

Hi all

Im playing vinyl and cds through my flatmates xone 92 and currently recording the mixes into ableton through an audiobox usb sound card.

Im pretty new to all this so forgive me but im finding it really hard to keep the levels all good and in the green on ableton, the recording is coming out linked to the volume going through the mixer. this is an issue as sometimes tracks on the cds/ through the cdjs are louder than the vinyls etc. its also an issue because you have to play the music at a certain volume the whole way through

I was wondering whether there were any tips to either get a recording that was not linked to the volume on the mixer with different cables? or just a better way of doing live recordings.

currently i have the sound card plugged into the record output on the back of the mixer

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by zchael6 View Post
    Hi all

Im playing vinyl and cds through my flatmates xone 92 and currently recording the mixes into ableton through an audiobox usb sound card.

Im pretty new to all this so forgive me but im finding it really hard to keep the levels all good and in the green on ableton, the recording is coming out linked to the volume going through the mixer. this is an issue as sometimes tracks on the cds/ through the cdjs are louder than the vinyls etc. its also an issue because you have to play the music at a certain volume the whole way through

I was wondering whether there were any tips to either get a recording that was not linked to the volume on the mixer with different cables? or just a better way of doing live recordings.

currently i have the sound card plugged into the record output on the back of the mixer

thanks!
    Just use the trims on the channels to make sure the audio is the same. You should be doing that anyway? Just remember that adding music to your output will increase the overall volume out. You need to either play with the EQs or volume faders while you're blending tracks. It's just part of being the DJ.
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

Quote Originally Posted by happydan View Post
    Just use the trims on the channels to make sure the audio is the same. You should be doing that anyway? Just remember that adding music to your output will increase the overall volume out. You need to either play with the EQs or volume faders while you're blending tracks. It's just part of being the DJ.
    Hey dude thanks for the reply

Yeah I've got all the gains set to the same, the master set and not moving, I mix with the volume faders and the eqs but what I was trying to say is that the tracks often seem to different volumes, the mo3s on cds vs the vinyls coming off the turn tables. Often I was wondering whether there was a way of recording out of the mixer that was separate from the volume

Hey dude thanks for the reply

Yeah I've got all the gains set to the same, the master set and not moving, I mix with the volume faders and the eqs but what I was trying to say is that the tracks often seem to different volumes, the mo3s on cds vs the vinyls coming off the turn tables. Often I was wondering whether there was a way of recording out of the mixer that was separate from the volume
    No, don't set the gains them same. Set them for each track so that the level meters just tickle the 0dB light on the channels. The REC out is actually the best option because it's a raw output from the master, and isn't affected by the master/booth volume controls. You're more likely hearing the change in dynamics between vinyl and CD. You probably have more high-end coming from CD and more bass from vinyl (depending on how your counterweights are set up and what needles you are using).
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

Quote Originally Posted by happydan View Post
    No, don't set the gains them same. Set them for each track so that the level meters just tickle the 0dB light on the channels. The REC out is actually the best option because it's a raw output from the master, and isn't affected by the master/booth volume controls. You're more likely hearing the change in dynamics between vinyl and CD. You probably have more high-end coming from CD and more bass from vinyl (depending on how your counterweights are set up and what needles you are using).
    Ok, thanks a lot I'll practice the advice.

Default How do you connect the xone 92 with your audio interface?

Hey,
    I am having trouble to connect my xone 92 to my audio interface (scarlett focusrite 2i2). The recording output of xone is RCA and only the output of focusrite is RCA, which does not work cause it has to be on the input, which is XLR. Is there any other way to do it besides of buying an adaptor from RCA to XLR?

Hi all

thanks!

an easy way of doing this is to get them beatmatched, then turn down the bass on the new track to 0 and turn the mids down a little
    when you bring in the new tracks you will hear if the highs are too high without it sounding a mess. you can then slowly fade one bass down and bring the other in or do it quick after a bar. just bringing in 2 tracks together you will give you overloaded and messy bass.
    you can always cheat a little. mix at a lower volume then tweak in a WAV editor after if you need to but its mainly practice. lots of records etc run at different volumes. over time you will remember which tunes are louder or quieter than others.
    you can always run some software to make all your music the same levels. i used to use this:
    http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/

also mixing in phrase will really help. if there is a lot of mids going on in the 1st track and the 2nd, lets the mids calm down a little or turn both down. or just dont mix in yet. when you are starting out its easy to get impatient and mix in tracks too early when too much is going on still. just bringing in the highs for a while allows user to hear new track slightly without it being overbearing.

if you have a filter effect you can also use that to help blend the 2 tracks.