Routing audio between two computers through ethernet?

Default Routing audio between two computers through ethernet?

Hi guys,

I am deciding on how I am going to route my audio from MacBook A which runs Traktor, to MacBook B which runs Ableton Live. One possibility is to buy a second soundcard for the second MacBook, but then I have to do a D/A conversion on MacBook A and an A/D conversion on MacBook B: not the best for the quality and my wallet. The cheapest way is to keep the signal digital and send it over ethernet or something like that, but I don't know if this is possible. Has anybody done something like this before?
    Check out my work!

Vestax VCM-600 (for sale!) - Allen & Heath Xone:62 - Focusrite Saffire LE - Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10 Pro - Traktor Pro 2.1 - Ableton Live 8 - MacBook Pro 15"

Yeah I already know that an application like wormhole can do the trick of routing the audio from one computer to another and back, but wormhole is used as an audio unit or vst. For Ableton this shouldn't be a problem, but Traktor doesn't allow vst's or audio units.
    I am thinking if it can be done with a routing server just like soundflower or jack osx, but they don't allow audio units and vst's either. Is there maybe other software that can route audio, and use vst's or audio units?
    Check out my work!

Vestax VCM-600 (for sale!) - Allen & Heath Xone:62 - Focusrite Saffire LE - Ultimate Ears Triple.Fi 10 Pro - Traktor Pro 2.1 - Ableton Live 8 - MacBook Pro 15"

If you wanted to Use Wormhole to do that.

You could take a look at these article(s)...
    http://www.djtechtools.com/2009/06/0...ing-explained/

http://www.djtechtools.com/2009/06/0...p-for-ableton/

4Mac:
    http://www.djtechtools.com/2008/05/1...-mac/#more-419

http://www.djtechtools.com/2008/03/2...-into-ableton/

Routing your audio from Traktor to Ableton.
    Then from within Ableton use Wormhole on the Master channel to send the audio from one Macbook to the other.
    MacBook Pro 2.53ghz . iMac 2.6ghrz . Compaq 2.4ghrz . Berhinger A5OD Reference Amp . Berhinger Ultra Graph Pro . Behringer Truth B1030A Monitors . Stanton FS Open . Native Instruments Maschine . Numark Mixdeck . TraktorLE . Vestax VCI-100 . Behringer UMX-25 . M-Audio Trigger Finger . . Ableton Live 8 . Reason 5 . Logic 9 Express .

Yeah, I used that article a while back to use both Traktor and Ableton on the same laptop. I wasn't too happy with the stability (for some reason Ableton kept crashing when I used Jack OSX), so that's why I want Traktor and Ableton running on separate computers. But what you're describing needs Ableton on both MacBooks (something that I don't want to do because the latency will be really high I guess)
    Check out my work!

yeah I guess that would not be to ideal.

Is there not a way to use the Jack Server?
    MacBook Pro 2.53ghz . iMac 2.6ghrz . Compaq 2.4ghrz . Berhinger A5OD Reference Amp . Berhinger Ultra Graph Pro . Behringer Truth B1030A Monitors . Stanton FS Open . Native Instruments Maschine . Numark Mixdeck . TraktorLE . Vestax VCI-100 . Behringer UMX-25 . M-Audio Trigger Finger . . Ableton Live 8 . Reason 5 . Logic 9 Express .

Do you mean using Jack instead of wormhole? I think it could be possible if you would install Jack op both macs and tried to route them together. But since there is no network routing possible, I think this isn't a sollution...
    Check out my work!

without Traktor able to host VST plugs, this is a tough one