Mapping Twister To Pro Tools Plugins

Default Mapping Twister To Pro Tools Plugins

Is it possible to map a MIDI Fighter Twister to plugins in ProTools?

I realize it should be possible in theory, but I'd really like to find someone who's actually succeeded in doing it in ProTools 12.

It took a while to figure it out, but the answer is to use an app called Controllermate to map cursor locations and use control wheel data. It works well and it took a while, but I figured out how to control faders with Controllermate too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Caffrey View Post
    Is it possible to map a MIDI Fighter Twister to plugins in ProTools?
    It's possible using our Mulligan application!

https://www.refusesoftware.com/mulligan

Mulligan works with any MIDI controller, but the Twister is my favorite controller to use with it. Twister has the smoothest knob action of any of the controllers I test with, and the fact that you can color-code the knobs on Twister makes for a degree of customization that I don't get elsewhere.

Ask me anything if you're curious about it. I'm about to publish a starter template for using Mulligan with Twister – I'll see if I can post a graphic of that template here.

OK, that starter template I mentioned before is out now. The Twister Starter Pack makes it easy to jump in with using your favorite MIDI controller with Pro Tools, using our Mulligan app.

Mulligan puts hands-on control for Pro Tools within reach of every engineer:

DJTT Mapping Ninja Moderator Stewe's Avatar

Pro Tools is one of those applications that doesn't support faders with LED feedback by default. Can you verify that Mulligan fixes the issue wit sending midi data back to Twister's ring indicators?

Quote Originally Posted by Stewe View Post
    Pro Tools is one of those applications that doesn't support faders with LED feedback by default. Can you verify that Mulligan fixes the issue wit sending midi data back to Twister's ring indicators?
    So sorry I missed your question before!

Yes, Mulligan does indeed get data from Pro Tools for its eight plugin control knobs, and then automatically routes that data to the Twister's ring indicators.

Mulligan also features some extended MIDI feedback, customized for the Twister: it turns the multi-color (RGB) LED under each knob on or off, to clearly indicate whether that knob has been mapped yet to a parameter in Pro Tools.

(Otherwise, with just the ring of LEDs for visual feedback, it would be unclear whether a completely unlit ring indicated an unmapped parameter, versus indicating a parameter value of zero.)

And, in case it's not clear from what I've already said: Mulligan automatically connects with whichever plugin is the currently focused one. Each plugin can have a customized knob mapping (several, actually – which are all managed from within Pro Tools itself). And Mulligan works without using plugin wrappers, and without requiring plugins to have any special MIDI features – meaning it works with any plugin.

If you're curious about the technical side of it, we explain more detail here in a post titled Mulligan...How Does It Work?

Default Can I use all 16 knobs on the twister for an EQ plugin?

Quote Originally Posted by refusesoftware View Post
    OK, that starter template I mentioned before is out now. The Twister Starter Pack makes it easy to jump in with using your favorite MIDI controller with Pro Tools, using our Mulligan app.

Mulligan puts hands-on control for Pro Tools within reach of every engineer:

Can I use all 16 knobs on the twister for an EQ plugin?

Default Pro Tools EQ3 with Twister

Quote Originally Posted by mlp View Post
    Can I use all 16 knobs on the twister for an EQ plugin?
    Before I purchase Mulligan, I would like to map the whole Protools EQ3 plugin to my Twister. Is there a template for that?