Rane TTM 56S (or high end mixer) - Audiophile

Default Rane TTM 56S (or high end mixer) - Audiophile

Hi all! So, I've owned a Denon DN-X120 for 3 years and it has treated me well for a budget scratch mixer. I have it plugged into a mid-range Denon receiver which feeds some high end floor speakers (Bower and Wilkins 683). I bought the B&W speakers 4 months ago and honestly wasn't impressed.

Fast forward to yesterday. I bought a used Rane TTM 56S mixer. I cannot believe the sound difference. It's total audiophile quality!! Plus the speakers can now be driven to much higher volumes and very clear.

What is happening?? I know the Rane mixer doesn't have a sound card but it is doing something amazing. No question about it...unless my Denon Mixer has been broken? Can anyone help me figure this out?? Thanks.

I play all my music on vinyl. I have technic 1200 mk2 TT's.

You are comparing a hundred dollar mixer to a 7 hundred dollar mixer...

what did you expect?
    Weapons, not food, not homes, not shoes
    Not need, just feed the war cannibal animal

But if the mixer doesn't have a sound card / amplifier what is causing this?

I bought the mixer thinking it was more expensive because: much better faders, more options (FX, etc), build quality, etc. I didn't think the sound would be better and not sure why it is.

Wouldn't my Denon receiver be the device that is amplifieng the sound and the device responsible for the sound quality? My mixer is plugged into the Denon receiver (w/ RCAs).

Quote Originally Posted by McdeltaT View Post
    But if the mixer doesn't have a sound card / amplifier what is causing this?

I bought the mixer thinking it was more expensive because: much better faders, more options (FX, etc), build quality, etc. I didn't think the sound would be better and not sure why it is.

Wouldn't my Denon receiver be the device that is amplifieng the sound and the device responsible for the sound quality? My mixer is plugged into the Denon receiver (w/ RCAs).
    Better shielding, RIAA pre-amps on the phono lines, better circuit management, way better quality fader contacts, etcetera.

To put it in an easier to understand perspective. You have a house whose frame is made from pine and a house whose frame is mad from oak. Both houses are made from wood, but the house whose frame was made from oak will have a way slower degredation period.
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6