Setting up in a club DJ booth with Traktor & VCI

Default Setting up in a club DJ booth with Traktor & VCI

Hi All - I did my first Traktor/VCI-100-only gig up in Vancouver and it was totally awesome. Rocking the crowd with delay and filter in a town that knows how to party was a sheer joy. However, one of the things that went very smoothly was setting up my kit. The guys who throw the party bring in their own sound system, so it was trivial to get set-up.

My question for the group is: how do you guys manage set-up in a more conventional club booth situation? How often have you run into problems where you couldn't get patched into the club sound system? Do you show up way early and get set-up? What do you do with your kit while the other DJs are playing, before your set? Etc. As I contemplate gigging outside of the circle of my usual collaborators, I realize I will have to deal with this situation sooner or later...

-Steve
    http://computerpaul.blogspot.com
    http://computerpaul.podomatic.com

two tricks I've found useful.

1) I bring my own Technics 1200 turntable covers to clubs where I know they don't have or cant find their own covers. The real estate you can free up by placing your laptop and VCI on each deck is invaluable. Without the covers your at risk of messing up the needles or arms on the turntables.

2) Plug your RCA into the back of one of the CDJ's inputs and use that channel o the mixer. This way you don't have to mess around in the back of the mixer, or even unplug an existing turntable/CDJ.

Schreiberie Meister Afterhour Ali's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Phil R View Post
    two tricks I've found useful.

1) I bring my own Technics 1200 turntable covers to clubs where I know they don't have or cant find their own covers. The real estate you can free up by placing your laptop and VCI on each deck is invaluable. Without the covers your at risk of messing up the needles or arms on the turntables.

2) Plug your RCA into the back of one of the CDJ's inputs and use that channel o the mixer. This way you don't have to mess around in the back of the mixer, or even unplug an existing turntable/CDJ.
    Nice tips Phil,
    I remember destroying one arm of a 1210 by putting just too much emotions in my set
    The club-owner was pretty upset, but luckily also a friend of mine.
    DJDiscourse.com — the new DJ community

Tech Convert

If you're not sure about what kind of setup is already at the club, I would just show up early and see what you are working with.

It gives you time to :

1) make sure you have the correct cables to connect to the clubs snake if they have one
    2) sound check
    3) get a little practice in and get pumped for an awesome night!

Take a stand - I use the Stanton Uberstand, and in a tight booth it's been a total lifesaver ...
    Traktor Scratch Pro 2/Serato SL1/Ecler NUO 3.0/VCI 100 SE/2 x Technics 1210 Mk2/Sennheiser HD25 II/Novation Dicers