Beginner wants to learn scratching - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Deejaesnafu View Post
    z2 might be a good bet, it comes with traktor and soundcard built in.... not sure your budget or prices of this mixer near you, but where i am they are very affordable
    Absolutely agree! For 600$ you got professional mixer with soundcard and enabled DVS PLUS Scratch Traktor. I was just in discussion with a friend for this. I cannot deny the good deal with Z2 hardware+software.. but the thing is that all hip-hop community uses Serato, even now with the Rekordbox DVS that they are now upgrading for bugs and sh*t, it is like child of Serato. Like Pioneer tired of Not having own software and uses Serato for software so they decided to build one.

On the other hand the best Traktor controller S8 doesn't have even jogs. It is like it is made for electronic music ( I know the debates going on Serato vs Traktor and that the music has nothing to do with the hardware but still there is something true) I know controller (traktor dj) is different from vinyl (traktor scratch) but I would like to see things like ecosystem like everything is related if I choose to upgrade and buy other stuff thats why I am considering DJM-250/Xone23C or affordable serato mixer. That is just my opinion and thoughts I do not push it or something.
    Last edited by cnfdnc; 10-19-2017 at 05:28 PM.

For Serato, the cheapest option available is AKAI amx. But you don't need fancy hardware/software to learn scratching. You can do it with MIXXX which is free. You can upgrade any time. Read:
    https://mixxx.org/manual/latest/chap...-vinyl-control
    https://mixxx.org/manual/latest/chap...#vinyl-control
    Last edited by electroshock; 10-19-2017 at 07:18 PM.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by electroshock View Post
    For Serato, the cheapest option available is AKAI amx. But you don't need fancy hardware/software to learn scratching. You can do it with MIXXX which is free. You can upgrade any time. Read:
    https://mixxx.org/manual/latest/chap...-vinyl-control
    https://mixxx.org/manual/latest/chap...#vinyl-control
    Yes, thanks. But I need addinional dvs expansion for the amx, correct?

Some of the best scratch djs are using traktor, such as Qbert, craZe , shiftee etc. I have both serato and traktor, and prefer traktors UI and workflow, but that's just my opinion of course. I actually mapped my Rane 64 to traktor, and carry around my a6 sound card , which is way more to route and carry than just running serato natively seeing as the 64 has serato sound card built in. I also saw serato as more the standard among scratchers, but after using it for 6 months I couldn't see the draw, and made the jump back to traktor
    Last edited by Deejaesnafu; 10-20-2017 at 07:25 AM.
    Traktor/Ableton /Komplete /MBP OSX el capitan

http://www.soundcloud.com/deejaesnafu

Traktor vs Serato at this point is pretty much just preference. While Traktor does have the remix decks, Serato has Flip.

If I had to line up three mixers to choose for with the best value at a lower price range:

Mixars Duo - Serato
    Traktor Z2 - Traktor
    DJM 450 - Rekordbox DJ
    - Equipment - 2X Technics 1200, 2X Audio Technica ATLP1240, 2X XDJ700, 2X XDJ1000 MK2, Denon DNX-1100, Mixars DUO, DJM750 MK2, NI Audio 10, NI Aduio 4, Serato SL3, 4X Shure M44-7, 2X Ortofon Pro S, 2X Numark Groove Tool, Maschine MK3, Samson Carbon 49, Roland SE-02, Novation Launchcontrol, TouchOSC, Nocation Peak, Arturia MiniBrute, Korg Volca Kick, MicroKorg (Classic), NI Komplete Audio 6

Tech Convert

yeah, I think we clear the things in this discussion. I hope this stands for helping other guys as well. Very useful forum, thanks!

I consider the best value will get from these:
    Turntable 2nd hand 1200mk2/1210mk2 (600$) OR new Stanton 150 STR8M2 (600$) OR Reloop8000(650$ in case of Serato Mixer)
    Mixer DJM250 (400$ - RekordBox DJ/DVS), DJM450 (700$ - RekordBox DJ/DVS), Z2(700$ Traktor Scratch), Xone23C(450$ - free dvs software) or Mixars Duo (850$ - Serato) - there are other options but I prefer 3v1 (mixer,dvs,audio interface)
    Kits Shure 44-7M (100$) + timecode vinyl depending on mixer/software (80$)
    Last edited by cnfdnc; 10-20-2017 at 10:05 AM.

Reloop 7000 MK2 is a strong contender.
    DJ'ing: 2x1200MK2, DJM 850, Dicers, F1, Zomo MC-1000, Sony MDR-v700, i7 Win 10 HP Envy
    Production: Ableton Live 8 and a mouse, Sennheiser HD400, Sony VAIO

Click HERE to D/L Free Tracks from Soundcloud!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/Patchdj

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by Patch View Post
    Reloop 7000 MK2 is a strong contender.
    Straight arm on the 8000 is better for Dvs hardcore scratching, right?
    I think 7000 is only with "S" - not going to use for listening to old real vinyls

Tech Convert

Actually last question I might be able to find used Rane mixer.

I though I understood this but for example does ttm56s have soundcard buil-it ? (someone here said no but it has phono inputs)

If I buy used ttm57sl, I should purchase serato scratch additionally.. I'm assuming people will only sell used hardware not the software, correct? Or is it free?

I saw that Scratch live is now replaced by Serato DJ but..
    https://serato.com/scratchlive
    The Rane SL1 and Rane TTM 57SL still require Serato Scratch Live. The latest version of Scratch Live has been tested and is supported with operating systems up to OS X Mavericks and Windows 8.1. No future testing or development will take place.

Also no windows 10....
    Last edited by cnfdnc; 10-21-2017 at 05:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cnfdnc View Post
    I need addinional dvs expansion for the amx, correct?
    Yes, still cheapest option, but AMX is not standalone mixer and also may move during scratching.

XONE 23c forget it as you'll need a side controller like k2 to adjust dvs gain levels.

You can get Traktor A6 and Roland dj99, innofader included, quite solid for what you need and it's good to go modular.

IMO best buy is DJM250mk2.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast