iPAD DJing - MIDI controller suggestion

Default iPAD DJing - MIDI controller suggestion

Hey guys,

I'm currently doing a ton of traveling but want to still be able to throw down sets on the move. I want to practice n work on my mixing. I decided that the best way for me to do this carrying the least amount of gear is simply with an iPad since I always have mine with me. That being said I really want to focus on two things as I want to start gigging out again starting in the new year. I have been trying to decide whether to pick up an S2 to use with the iPad (via Traktor DJ) or simply a Midifighter Twister & using that along the EDJing mix app which has midi support. Any suggestions on controllers or opinions on the ideal portable setup to practice basic beatmatching / scratching on would be greatly appreciated.

Note: I know EDJing mix has MIDI support but I am having trouble finding out if you can actually map all the parameters & how to do so - so if anyone has any insight into it i'd appreciate that as well. I use that app cause i picked up a mixfader to practice my scratching with.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Coldfuzion; 10-25-2017 at 02:59 PM.

From Ireland Living in Manila: Philippines :D

Personally I don't like the iPad version of Traktor, too few features and I believe the S2 is not class compliant - so will not work as a midi controller in other apps.

Currently I'm using a VCI100 Mk2 with Algoriddim Djay Pro - everything works smooth as butter.

Despite there being no "official" way to midi map unsupported controllers on Djay, its actually pretty simple - they don't tell you how to, but they built in the feature.

• Create the mapping in the desktop version of DJay Pro (demo version is fine).
    • Export the mapping
    • import the mapping via iTunes document sharing.
    • Sync.

Honestly I find its the most stable and feature packed piece of Dj software for the iPad - EDJing looks like a really bad knockoff IMHO.

Given a choice of controller I'd probably go with an Akai AMX for portability or DDJ SR / SX for gigging.

Be Aware you'll need a powered USB hub and official Apple Lightning USB cable for controllers and soundcards to work.

Quote Originally Posted by deevey View Post
    Personally I don't like the iPad version of Traktor, too few features and I believe the S2 is not class compliant - so will not work as a midi controller in other apps.

Currently I'm using a VCI100 Mk2 with Algoriddim Djay Pro - everything works smooth as butter.

Despite there being no "official" way to midi map unsupported controllers on Djay, its actually pretty simple - they don't tell you how to, but they built in the feature.

• Create the mapping in the desktop version of DJay Pro (demo version is fine).
    • Export the mapping
    • import the mapping via iTunes document sharing.
    • Sync.

Honestly I find its the most stable and feature packed piece of Dj software for the iPad - EDJing looks like a really bad knockoff IMHO.

Given a choice of controller I'd probably go with an Akai AMX for portability or DDJ SR / SX for gigging.

Be Aware you'll need a powered USB hub and official Apple Lightning USB cable for controllers and soundcards to work.
    Ahh that’s an awesome suggestion! I’ll prolly pick up DJAY pro. I’m thinking i’ll use your technique & just pick up a Midifighter Twister instead as the controller. The main reason I want a portable with the iPad is honestly just to practice my scratching & beat matching. If I can map the knobs to pitch control that will take care of the main thing I want to work on & then I can map the other knobs to effects etc. I know I can connect my Mixfader to the Djay APP (via https://maps.djtechtools.com/mappings/5913) but do you think i’ll be able to use my mixfader via Bluetooth while having the twister connected as well?
    Last edited by Coldfuzion; 10-26-2017 at 02:55 PM.

Got all my questions answered, thanks guys .