Syncing Arena and Logic with Traktor BPMs
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tech Convert

Default Syncing Arena and Logic with Traktor BPMs

Hey Everyone....

I am trying to use Traktor as my "master" for a pretty elaborate setup including Live and Resolume Arena.

In an ideal world, I would be able to load a track into Deck A in traktor, have the tempo automatically adjust in the Master window (which is DOES in auto) and then when I load a new track into B, different tempo, have that tempo take over the Master. Now, I've gotten THAT to work.

Where I need some help, is in syncing Ableton or Resolume to read that BPM. It doesn't seem that Link acts as master/slave. I can get all three systems to the correct tempo if I manually edit the Master in Traktor. I have successfully gotten MIDI sync out of Traktor into Live and Resolume each one their own computer with MIDI interfaces, but it doesn't then have the benefits that Link provides for launching clips in time, etc.

SO, I dont know what the answer is yet, but I would LOVE some help. Any ideas?
    (I've thought of a small app that could take MIDI to Link but it doesn't exist.... tried MIDI clock out to Ableton, but then LINK doesnt work... just in a rut. Thanks!
    Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by djdrums View Post
    Hey Everyone....

I am trying to use Traktor as my "master" for a pretty elaborate setup including Live and Resolume Arena.

In an ideal world, I would be able to load a track into Deck A in traktor, have the tempo automatically adjust in the Master window (which is DOES in auto) and then when I load a new track into B, different tempo, have that tempo take over the Master. Now, I've gotten THAT to work.

Where I need some help, is in syncing Ableton or Resolume to read that BPM. It doesn't seem that Link acts as master/slave. I can get all three systems to the correct tempo if I manually edit the Master in Traktor. I have successfully gotten MIDI sync out of Traktor into Live and Resolume each one their own computer with MIDI interfaces, but it doesn't then have the benefits that Link provides for launching clips in time, etc.

SO, I dont know what the answer is yet, but I would LOVE some help. Any ideas?
    (I've thought of a small app that could take MIDI to Link but it doesn't exist.... tried MIDI clock out to Ableton, but then LINK doesnt work... just in a rut. Thanks!
    Thoughts?
    Link doesn't have master/slave, but whenever there's a tempo change, it will be reflected. As long as the Traktor master clock is the correct BPM, the rest of the linked apps will stay with it.

Do you need Resolume, or would Mixvibes Remixvideo running as a VST in Ableton do the trick?

EDIT: to add, you can set a deck as master in Traktor and it should change the master tempo out to that BPM. You can even map the deck master button to a controller.
    A&H Xone:96 | Xone:K1 | 2 x 1210s | Traktor Pro 3 | Apple Macbook Pro (2015) 13" | Sennheiser HD7 DJ | Maschine Mikro Mk3
    read: http://djworx.com/author/dan-morse
    talk: http://facebook.com/bleeptechno
    listen: http://mixcloud.com/bleephudds

Tech Convert

Hey!
    Thanks for the reply -
    I am running a 12 layer Video output, so Arena is definitely needed. I'm a beta tester for MixVibes though, and if I Didn't have such an elaborate set up, it would be perfect!

Ideally, I just want whatever track I load into a deck to output a tempo to all the other software. and That doesn't seem possible. Mind you, I am well aware that I can just type in the tempo changes, and move on. That makes the transitions a little less smooth.

Also, I know I can tempo change manually. Again, just trying to make everything automatic.

My set up:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOf5...ature=youtu.be

Quote Originally Posted by happydan View Post
    Link doesn't have master/slave, but whenever there's a tempo change, it will be reflected. As long as the Traktor master clock is the correct BPM, the rest of the linked apps will stay with it.

Do you need Resolume, or would Mixvibes Remixvideo running as a VST in Ableton do the trick?

EDIT: to add, you can set a deck as master in Traktor and it should change the master tempo out to that BPM. You can even map the deck master button to a controller.

Tech Convert

Default reply

Quote Originally Posted by happydan View Post

Hey!
    Yeah, I absolutely need resolume--> Mad Mapper. I'm doing a pretty heavy 12 layer setup for video.
    Since I wrote, this is what I found:

if you start at 1:12, that's kinda the exact feature I need!

My goal is to have everything be automatic - understanding that If I just type the tempo in, I can do it.

See if that makes it clearer. If not, I'll mess with that and update you sooon!

Tech Guru

If it was me, i would just ditch Traktor and use Live. Youre not doing any live Djing, so why deal with the limitations of traktor when you can just have Live doing it all with no sync issues.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by ImNoDJ View Post
    If it was me, i would just ditch Traktor and use Live. Youre not doing any live Djing, so why deal with the limitations of traktor when you can just have Live doing it all with no sync issues.
    I know i'll end up there - but right now, I'm doing like 3-4 hour Party DJ sets, where I need a massive song library.
    So, my reason for using traktor is to cue and trigger songs, but also to have a massive library where I can import songs on the fly...

Tech Guru

Hey dj drums, have you tried using Ableton Link? Resolume 6 is currently out in beta and it's added Ableton Link so you can easily pair all 3 of these programs now. Even if you're changing BPM in Traktor Resolume and Ableton will follow. Here's a quick video on setting it up:

The one thing that is different about using Link in Traktor is that you'll actually need to sync your decks to the Master Tempo (in the top left corner of Traktor). It's not possible to have an individual deck as the Master when using Ableton Link in Traktor.

Tech Convert

Quote Originally Posted by rdej47 View Post
    Hey dj drums, have you tried using Ableton Link? Resolume 6 is currently out in beta and it's added Ableton Link so you can easily pair all 3 of these programs now. Even if you're changing BPM in Traktor Resolume and Ableton will follow. Here's a quick video on setting it up:

The one thing that is different about using Link in Traktor is that you'll actually need to sync your decks to the Master Tempo (in the top left corner of Traktor). It's not possible to have an individual deck as the Master when using Ableton Link in Traktor.

Hi Ryan!

Yes, I have 6. ) Obviously, I watched your video. I know how to make everything work perfectly when I'm setting a set to 128 and not worrying about it, but in my gigs, I'm jumping from 70, to 120, to 162 etc.
    I KNOW I can just type in the tempo.

There's gotta be some trick, background app, something, that can change the master tempo, like it does when Link is OFF, to update Link.

I'm going to mess with the app I bought above today - Maybe not use Link in Traktor, but sent out MIDI sync from it to that app, then use the app and the 'master' for the other apps, using MIDI. we'll see how well MIDI clips/loops from Ableton lock in. )

I'll FB message you

-DJDRUMS

(vince)

Tech Guru

Quote Originally Posted by djdrums View Post
    Hi Ryan!

Yes, I have 6. ) Obviously, I watched your video. I know how to make everything work perfectly when I'm setting a set to 128 and not worrying about it, but in my gigs, I'm jumping from 70, to 120, to 162 etc.
    I KNOW I can just type in the tempo.

There's gotta be some trick, background app, something, that can change the master tempo, like it does when Link is OFF, to update Link.

I'm going to mess with the app I bought above today - Maybe not use Link in Traktor, but sent out MIDI sync from it to that app, then use the app and the 'master' for the other apps, using MIDI. we'll see how well MIDI clips/loops from Ableton lock in. )

I'll FB message you

-DJDRUMS

(vince)

Hey Vince, that's exactly how Link works. No matter what program you change the BPM in the other will follow. Whether your drag it up and down or type it in. As long as Link is turned on in all the programs the tempo will automatically snap to the new tempo when you change it. Using Midi Clock will not be as responsive as Link.

Tech Mentor

hi you just need to make the master tempo on traktor as «*auto «* and adjust the tempo with the pitch on the deck window
    A&H Xone2D & 1D+Djm800+BST PR 4,5 (x3)+ M-Jam + mac
    https://soundcloud.com/dj-wo-k
    https://www.facebook.com/dj.wo.k

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast