Could you control serato with NI data encoded vinyls & Audio 8 DJ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Could you control serato with NI data encoded vinyls & Audio 8 DJ?

I use Traktor Scratch with Traktor DJ Studio 3 and love it, with the Audio 8 interface. I have a gig coming up with a mate who used serato. Could I install serato on my machine, but use it in the same way as traktor, using the NI data encoded vinyl all in the same way?

So to recap, the exact same hardware setup but it controlling serato instead.
    2 x Technic SL1210 mk2s, MacBook 2ghz/2GB RAM/OS X 10.5.4, iMac Aluminium 2GHZ/2GB/OS X 10.5.4 & Windows XP Pro both running Traktor DJ STudio 3.4 & Traktor Scratch, Logic Pro 8, Reason 4, M Audio MK149cmk2 MIDI keyboard, Audio 8 DJ with data encoded vinyl, 2 TB Mp3s & about 1500 vinyls

Quote Originally Posted by Waxer View Post
    I use Traktor Scratch with Traktor DJ Studio 3 and love it, with the Audio 8 interface. I have a gig coming up with a mate who used serato. Could I install serato on my machine, but use it in the same way as traktor, using the NI data encoded vinyl all in the same way?

So to recap, the exact same hardware setup but it controlling serato instead.
    Nope Serato has its own setup they are competing companies after all.

I personally think the whole situation having 45 million slightly different(yet all using the same principle) and different soundcard setups completely sucks. I wait until motorized HD midi jogs dominate the market and get rid of the need for such specialized systems for the use in a single program.

That said, Deckadance is great like that, you don't need a special soundcard and it supports more types of vinyl than any other software on the market. I wish more companies would take this approach.

Sorry to be the one to break the bad news to you !

Quote Originally Posted by BentoSan View Post
    Sorry to be the one to break the bad news to you !
    Hah, never mind, worth a try! I bet some clever sod could programme a controller translater that would sit between the hardware and software...

Anyone up for a challenge?!!
    2 x Technic SL1210 mk2s, MacBook 2ghz/2GB RAM/OS X 10.5.4, iMac Aluminium 2GHZ/2GB/OS X 10.5.4 & Windows XP Pro both running Traktor DJ STudio 3.4 & Traktor Scratch, Logic Pro 8, Reason 4, M Audio MK149cmk2 MIDI keyboard, Audio 8 DJ with data encoded vinyl, 2 TB Mp3s & about 1500 vinyls

Serato and NI control records are encoded at different frequencies so if you convert the frequencey of each then they would work but how well is a different animal.

Quote Originally Posted by eangolde View Post
    Serato and NI control records are encoded at different frequencies so if you convert the frequencey of each then they would work but how well is a different animal.

Ean's right.

I think would need something like a modified version of Ammobox that would detect the speed of the vinyl but then generate another timcode signal. This would produce double the latency as the code is going through 2 detection systems :\

Edit : Not to mention you would have to route the audio back out of your system turning it into analogue once again, only to send the edited signal into the soundcard that supports the software you wish to use. The fact that its going though so many conversion processes and 2 timecode algorithms, the latency would be so high it would become unusable. The latency is sub-optimum as it stands without going though all this.
    Last edited by BentoSan; 09-05-2008 at 12:17 PM.

Blimey! I'll just stick with it all working as it is then!

Ta lads.

This situation really sucks if you throw parties and bring out guests who use different systems as sometimes the guest expects you to supply a Serato box which I feel in the long run is a waste money .

Quote Originally Posted by darrel855 View Post
    This situation really sucks if you throw parties and bring out guests who use different systems as sometimes the guest expects you to supply a Serato box which I feel in the long run is a waste money .
    You are right, the future is certainly not in using timecode. The future for vinyl is in setups like the Stanton SC system and the NS7. They don't use timecode at all thus having a lower latency response.

Tech Mentor

What's the big deal about serato I think it sucks no effects at all but well that's why u have a good mixer with effects anyways...I think that tracktor is better that's just for me.....mmmm yea like on my situation the club that I'm going to dj in they use serato and cd players they almost didn't let me play with tracktor lol

Yeah some of the DJ where I live eat up serato. I don't like it personally. But it probably has to do with what you DJ. Waxer do you DJ hip-hop? A lot of hiphop DJ tend to like serato... don't get it.
    SyblingQ - Electro House for dark alleys.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast